Vizio Smart TVs

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
valib
Developer

Re: Vizio Smart TVs

Post by valib »

Thanks for response. I made some changes so please use the UMSBuilder again but do not copy ums.exe and ums.jar. Use UMS-Windows.exe and make clean Installation. Then copy the conf file I provided to the renderers directory and after you start UMS choose it and uncheck the "Vizio Smart TV". The rest you now well. 8-)
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Ranger187 wrote:
It seems slower to use, and going to a directory with 200+ movies in it, causes it to freeze/lock up. But if you let it sit, it comes to. Even if I load a directory with 20 FOLDERS in root, it locks.

Unfortunatelly it is an UMS behavior when the new version is run for the first time. It tests all files and makes thumbnails to be stored in the database. When you run UMS for the second time it should be much faster.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

NOTE: I simply unchecked all other renders and left the vizio checked. But I renamed the original and copied in your conf and named it to the correct file. That shouldn't be a concern correct?
ie: VizioSmartTV.conf renamed > VizioSmartTV.conf.bak
ie: VizioSmartTV-test.conf renamed > VizioSmartTV.conf

I've noticed that the initial building slows the first time view on ANY device where it generates the thumbnails. So to give the test an accurate reading I'm letting it "freeze" in each dir so it can generate them and I'll test the results after.

I have a suggestion, would it be possible to add a checkbox/option to FORCE a generation of thumbnails? I ask this because it would be nice to force it after a clean install BEFORE I actually navigate to the share so it's not sitting there for 10 minutes generating all 2,000+ movies. Now if this only can be done when the client (like the TV/PS3) accesses it, I understand.

All 4 files played with no tinkering by my part, but for some reason, both the AVI (13 movie) and AVI [shows as MPG] (28 movie) both take about 2 minutes from "play" to actual playing occurs.

Here's what I've noticed.

1. After navigating through the folders, it's still SUPER slow. When I select a folder, the tv "freezes" for about 2 minutes navigating to ANY folder. <----- ISSUE

Code: Select all

01-10 23:21:09  Started playing 13 [2010].avi on your Vizio Smart TV test <---- Guessing it's generating preview?
01-10 23:21:22  Stopped playing 13 [2010].avi on your Vizio Smart TV test <---- Finished preview?
01-10 23:22:49  Started playing 13 [2010].avi on your Vizio Smart TV test <---- Finally starts playing about 1-2 minutes later

2. I'm attaching screen shots in the ZIP. One shows that it can't generate ANY "durating" or "length" info at all. These usually are divX files. It does this for the "28" movie. Which is an .avi that PMS is forcing it to be an mpg so it can play it. (Stock settings that we have for it atm.)
PHOTO1.JPG - Notice how the .avi file of 28 which is shown as an mpg because it can't play divx doesn't show the duration? That's part of the "freeze" issue as well I'm assuming.
PHOTO2.JPG - 28 does play after 2 minutes, this is proof that we have DivX working on M series. ;)

3. Fast forwarding in "28" will "freeze" the TV. I either have to wait minutes for it to catch up, or start it from the beginning.

DEBUG MODE: TRACE
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(2.43 MiB) Downloaded 628 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

You don't need to rename the conf file. You can use both original and your personal setting and simply choose the propper one. If you check both the first one in alphabetical order will be choosen. Otherwise the next time you install the fresh copy of UMS you will lost your personal setting because installer overwrite it.
The feature to "FORCE" generating thumbnails is there. Simply at the Navigation/Share Setting tab push the scan button in the Shared folders part and wait. 8-)
Anyway thanks for testing I will try to analyse it.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

About the DivX shown as MPEG. It is because renderer file defines no support for DivX so it is transcoded.
You should uncomment (remove #) this line in renderer.conf (but I don't know if Vizio supports DivX anyway):

#Supported = f:avi|divx v:mp4|divx|mjpeg a:mp3|lpcm|mpa|ac3 m:video/x-divx qpel:no gmc:0
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

We shouldn't uncomment that line because Vizio doesn't support DivX. ;)

See this post for what's supported by Vizio.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=487&start=40#p9075
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Then it is logical it is displayed as MPEG ;) If Vizio doesn't support DivX PMS will show them as MPEG and transcode them. You should not expect files will be shown as DivX right? 8-)
But many times I saw that specification say some unsupported format which in reality wasn't problem so it is useful to test it anyway instead of believing the specs by blind.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Valib, any update?
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Sorry that I am so late. I had other things to do.
To speed up browsing enable the cache generation at the Navigation/Share Settings. Explanation from UMS.conf is

# Enable cache
# ------------
# GUI Option: Enable cache (toggle)
# Without a cache, when the client browses a folder, content is listed in
# real-time. With a cache, additional information becomes available and the
# cache can be browsed directly.
# Default: false
use_cache =
The browsing will be slow for the first time after clean install but when UMS starts next time it will be much faster. And for 2,000+ movies it really takes some time. :)
Both movies 13 and 28 have a strange format. FFMpeg says

DEBUG 2014-01-10 23:06:22.715 [Thread-17] [mpeg4 @ 0431bb00] Video uses a non-standard and wasteful way to store B-frames ('packed B-frames'). Consider using a tool like VirtualDub or avidemux to fix it.
That may cause the delay. You can try to play that videos from TRANSCODE folder using Mencoder to check if the problem remains. If so I reccomend to follow FFMpeg sugestion.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Thanks. I'll enable the cache and give it a try. As for the 13 and 28 files, it does that with ALL files that are DiVX from what I remember. If I play the same file from PMS > PS3 it works. If I play it from PMS to Sony BDP-S590 it plays. If I play it from PMS to Samsung it works.

So I'm assuming it's tossing errors back causing that. Because I don't think it tosses them back to the others.

I'll try the transcoding folder in a bit and report back.