Android

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
SmokeyPSD

Re: Android

Post by SmokeyPSD »

I've been using PMS/UMS for awhile but I'm completely new to trying to get a media server to work on an android phone as I had no need to before. Now with a new Xperia Z I thought I would give it a go but I'm having a lot of trouble. It seems you can easily play files in the Walkman app that comes with the phone but videos don't play, music and everything else is fine, even lossless flac files with my current setup. Any suggestions guys?
AFSFigueiredo

Post by AFSFigueiredo »

Hi,

I´ve tested lot´s and lot´s of available media servers, and the best one i found is the UMS.
But also i can´t get the SRT subtitles, nor transcoded files to be played on my android devices , i´m using a Core i7/32Gb mem as server and tryed with my Google Nexus 10 (4.2.2) and Samsung S3 (4.1.2) , as renderes i´ve tryed MediaHouse , Bubble UPnP and Skifta ; on the android devices i could get all files without transcoding with all those renderers , none with transcoding nor subtitles, i also believe it´s not related with CPU resources on the server nor on the android devices.

Do anyone was able to get transcoded files played on Android, or other solution to have the SRT subtitles on it ? (by the way, the android.conf has the ChunkedTransfer=true)
laferrierejc

Post by laferrierejc »

XBMC works fine for hosting files to my android device, but ums seems to only work about half the time.

I keep getting "can't play this video file" or something when using ums (depends on player, I've tried vplayer as well as mxplayer with the appropriate codec's installed).

Any ideas? I'm using 2.5 (2.6 was giving me issues).

All the videos are ripped with handbrake with the same settings, so it's not a settings issue.

update:
nm, I just realized there not all the same settings... some are mp4 some are mkv, some are downloaded.

However, over half are ones I did encode with handbrake, and those ones are the ones that are hit or miss, it could be mkv vs mp4 though.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

This conf file is very generistic and when dealing with android devices its best to not only use useragentsearch but to use useragentheadersearch ( I think...) this way UMS specificly identifies your android device.