PS4 disconnecting every 20 minutes

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Kruksten

Re: PS4 disconnecting every 20 minutes

Post by Kruksten »

I ran MyPC Utilities this morning to try and fix another problem I had. It didn't fix that problem but whatever the program cleaned up(temp files, junk files, registry entries), fixed the 20 or so minutes problem. I've watched 3 different videos(2 around 80 minutes and 1 almost 2 hours) and they all played fine.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Wow, that's unexpected
Kruksten

Post by Kruksten »

the problem is back. :(
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Recently my internet connection has changed which has allowed me to have my PS4 on the same network now and have started using my PS4 to watch videos that have to be transcoded.

I have yet to have this happen to me over the past few days, but I do remember it happening an issue a few years ago.

I can't remember if UMS was streaming or transcoding at the time when it did happen though.

Could you try both streaming and transcoding while creating logs to see if there is any difference?

If you enable "add engine names after filenames" in navigation settings it will be obvious what will be transcoded
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

SubJunk wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:46 pm Ok I bought a PS4 to get this working, since everyone is ditching them for PS5s ;) Trying to reproduce it now
Have you had any issues with pausing and resuming videos on your PS4?
I've been using mine more often to watch h265 videos that have to be transcoded and most of the time if I pause I get an error on the PS4 when trying to resume.

It has been mentioned before here and here but could not find a reason why it was happening. Maybe you can find out why now you have a PS4 to test on.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I haven't been using the PS4 since I failed to reproduce this issue on it, I have gone back to using my Panasonic TV. But I have experienced that bug on the TV before. I'm not sure why
highmetin

Post by highmetin »

This started to happening to me . And i did hot spot with my phone , rebuild database , re update console , gave static ip , changed dns almost everything i can . Yet my console disconnects after 20 minutes and reconnects after it . I cant believe no one can found a solution or what caused this .
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You said it started happening, were there any other changes that it coincided with? Changes to the network? New router, firewall, software, anything?
Kruksten

Post by Kruksten »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:28 pm Thanks for testing more. I think we need to see the whole network picture, because it may be something our logs aren't capturing that is triggering this to happen. Would you please install Wireshark from https://www.wireshark.org/ and capture the network traffic while playing and stop it after the video ends? Feel free to PM it to me if you don't want it on this public forum.
Let me know if there are any problems running Wireshark. It is an advanced program but the basic functionality of starting and stopping a recording should be straight forward, I hope.
Still having the problem...finally getting around to capturing with Wireshark. I will PM you soon.
GRABO666

Post by GRABO666 »

What helped me was simply whitelisting my client.
My Samsung TV started dropping connections after many months of normal work.
From Debug Log I found some other device was trying to establish connection shortly before the disconnection.
It was from different subnet (wifi), perhaps my smartphone, and this was making trouble.
After puting my TV on whitelist I have no more problems.