WD TV Live and m4a audio

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Gjames01

WD TV Live and m4a audio

Post by Gjames01 »

Does UMS support M4a out of the box on WD TV Live? I can play mp3s and also Mp4 videos, but m4a audio files from itunes don't play. It attempts and just skips to the next song and keeps failing until it hits a mp3. Do i need a WD TV live config file change?
Gjames01

Re: WD TV Live and m4a audio

Post by Gjames01 »

More testing shows WMP12 plays the m4a files just fine on WD Tv Live. Also, i see that m4a files are supposedly apple lossless, but i don't think that's accurate. The file sizes are only 4M-7M, so i don't think that's truly lossless. I would expect apple lossless filesizes to be more like wav file sizes. So WD TV live can play streaming m4a files. So it must be some setting on UMS. Also of note, m4a files play fine over UMS on my Samsung ES-6500 blu ray player running allshare, so it's not an issue with UMS and m4a in general.
Gjames01

Post by Gjames01 »

More testing shows the purchased AAC files will play on WD TV Live if i change the extension from m4a to aac. So can someone tell me how to treat m4a as aac in the wdtv live conf file? I tried just adding m4a to the streamextensions list and i saved the conf file as a txt file, and restarted the server, but that didn't seem to help. Maybe there is a different method?

Also, one other note, i imported a test song from CD and saved it as m4a 192kpbs with VBR. This also played fine on WD TV live, so i guess it's not as simple as the file extension. Maybe it's the bitrate. Purchased aac files from Itunes are 256 kpbs.
Gjames01

Post by Gjames01 »

I did finally get this working. Adding m4a to the conf file does indeed fix the issue. The original problem i had is i assumed "restarting server" would accept the changes to the conf file. After carefully reading the FAQs, i read i had to shut down UMS first, make the conf file change, and restart UMS. That did the trick.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the info Gjames01, can you please provide the change you made so we can add it to the program?