PS4 Media Player 2.0 Update

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
CZSK

PS4 Media Player 2.0 Update

Post by CZSK »

Sony has released today 2.0 update for the PS4 media player.

Changelog:
Accessibility features have been added.
It now supports more formats. (MPEG2-PS, MPEG4)

This update is huge. MPEG1, 2 and 4 files (and most other formats) can be fast forwarded now. Fast forwarding works even if the transcoded file has subtitles.
I was waiting for this since sony has announced that PS4 will have a media player. I can retire my PS3 now.
Madoka

Re: PS4 Media Player 2.0 Update

Post by Madoka »

Thanks for the heads up. This is what they should have had day one.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

This is great. Can you please help us update the PS4 profile? There is the UMS Video Testing Suite at https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... z/download which has quite a few different formats to test, if you can let us know which files play natively on the PS4 (you can play them natively by going into the TRANSCODE folder and selecting [No Transcode] on the videos) that will be very helpful
SeekingSeeks

Post by SeekingSeeks »

has anybody noticed that the CACHE no longer works with the media player 2.0 update? i have tried resetting the cache in UMS multiple times, to no avail. i used to be able to load up a shared folder in UMS while in the media player app and the thumbnails would instantly load. now everytime i re-open the app/folders it doesnt load the thumbnails automatically anymore??? i have to scroll through the entire folder to get them to load, and like i said, they dont remain in the cache and instantly load upon the next use of UMS/MP. :( is this a bug with media player or does UMS need an update to fix a new compatibility issue with the 2.0 update?
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SubJunk wrote:This is great. Can you please help us update the PS4 profile? There is the UMS Video Testing Suite at https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... z/download which has quite a few different formats to test, if you can let us know which files play natively on the PS4 (you can play them natively by going into the TRANSCODE folder and selecting [No Transcode] on the videos) that will be very helpful
Here's what I got:

mkv + h264 + aac (any combo) or ac3 (any) or mp3 2 ch play normally.

mp4 + h264 + aache 2 ch or aaclc (any) or ac3 (any) play normally.

Nothing with xvid or h265 gives a video.

DTS, flac, mp2, opus, vorbis never gives audio.

It also supports streamed .srt subs. Although there's a small bug where lines less than one second duration aren't displayed.
SeekingSeeks

Post by SeekingSeeks »

can somebody weigh in on the cache issue? ive tried everything and still no luck. before the 2.0 update the thumbnail cache worked properly, and the media player would load the thumbnails nearly instantly whenever i opened a folder containing video files. now, every time i open a folder that is already supposed to have cached thumbnails, the media player still takes some time to load them up....not only that, but the app doesnt load all the thumbnails within a folder until i scroll down to see further down the list. it used to just go down the list, however many files the folder contained. so after i scrolled down the files further down the list would already have their thumbs loaded. but this update only loads them as you scroll, as i said before, and doesnt seem to save them either. i think sony screwed up, as i dont believe this is a UMS issue. but is there a fix/workaround, or even a way to revert back to media player 1.0? this is gonna drive me nuts, waiting for the app to refresh the thumbnails everytime i open my movie folder with 100+ films.

another annoying thing is that they STILL didnt fix the issue with MP3 sorting. it reads tags but for some bizarre reason sorts by SONG NAME instead of TRACK NUMBER. how ridiculous is that? who on earth sorts their albums by song name? i cant even listen to a proper album all the way through as it was meant to be played. instead i just have to listen to it alphabetically. who the hell is running the show over at sony, and why dont they ever listen to their customers? are these people completely out of touch with reality?
CZSK

Post by CZSK »

SubJunk wrote:This is great. Can you please help us update the PS4 profile? There is the UMS Video Testing Suite at https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... z/download which has quite a few different formats to test, if you can let us know which files play natively on the PS4 (you can play them natively by going into the TRANSCODE folder and selecting [No Transcode] on the videos) that will be very helpful
I have same results as Madoka.
CZSK

Post by CZSK »

SeekingSeeks wrote:can somebody weigh in on the cache issue? ive tried everything and still no luck. before the 2.0 update the thumbnail cache worked properly, and the media player would load the thumbnails nearly instantly whenever i opened a folder containing video files. now, every time i open a folder that is already supposed to have cached thumbnails, the media player still takes some time to load them up....not only that, but the app doesnt load all the thumbnails within a folder until i scroll down to see further down the list. it used to just go down the list, however many files the folder contained. so after i scrolled down the files further down the list would already have their thumbs loaded. but this update only loads them as you scroll, as i said before, and doesnt seem to save them either. i think sony screwed up, as i dont believe this is a UMS issue. but is there a fix/workaround, or even a way to revert back to media player 1.0? this is gonna drive me nuts, waiting for the app to refresh the thumbnails everytime i open my movie folder with 100+ films.

another annoying thing is that they STILL didnt fix the issue with MP3 sorting. it reads tags but for some bizarre reason sorts by SONG NAME instead of TRACK NUMBER. how ridiculous is that? who on earth sorts their albums by song name? i cant even listen to a proper album all the way through as it was meant to be played. instead i just have to listen to it alphabetically. who the hell is running the show over at sony, and why dont they ever listen to their customers? are these people completely out of touch with reality?
I think that you can revert to 1.0 version. Delete all the update files under PS4 options. That should do it.