Profile for renderer Samsung 4K (UHD SUHD)

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Sami32

[Solved] Profile for renderer Samsung 4K (UHD SUHD)

Post by Sami32 »

@aleks76 You are welcome.

As i already said, without providing your full trace log don't expect more help than that from me.

About correctly set your subtitles configuration, click on the green link in my signature.
I guess that you see your subtitles from your #--TRANSCODE--# folder ?
I don't understand what is your subtitles issue, as they play and display fine, right ?

Fast Forward, or rewind, are not possible at the moment with transcoded movies and Samsung renderers.
qyv

Re: Profile for renderer Samsung 4K (UHD SUHD)

Post by qyv »

Greetings gentlemen of the Samsung 4K thread! There seem to be some knowledgeable and helpful folks in here so I'm wondering if some of you might take pity on me and answer some noobish questions... I'm an IT guy but on the tech/operations side and UMS / CONF editing is more like programming so I get out of my depth pretty quickly. In general my UMS setup seems to be working fine but I'm not sure if I've done anything I shouldn't have, my main goal/question here with this post is to make sure I am not doing something in a super wrong way or missing out on functionality.
OK so, my media server runs on a dedicated Thinkpad T430s laptop with 8GB of ram, wired gigabit. My TV is a Samsung UN65KS8000 and I've connected the optical OUT from the TV to an input on my Onkyo receiver for audio. I use the whatever native app on the TV which found the UMS server to stream/decode and then pass the audio down to the receiver.
A while back I felt like the 4K videos weren't really looking much different from 1080 videos and besides I didn't want the laptop/UMS doing any of the decoding/transcoding so the first thing I did to try to "disable transcoding" (downcoding) was to disable all the "Video Files Engines" on the transcoding tab, nothing really changed. Subsequent searching led me to what turned out to be an old article saying that UMS downcodes (I guess USED to in old versions) 4K files to 1080 but before I realized that was an old version I did what the article suggested and placed all the common file extensions ("avi,mpg,mpeg,mkv,mp4") in the "skip transcoding for the following extensions" section of the Transcoding tab and maybe it worked, maybe it is just wishful viewing but THAT seemed to really make my 4K videos pop... I'm pretty happy at this point I get good video and surround sound seems to work properly on videos which have it.
So a few days ago I'm searching around this forum specifically trying to find data about streaming to Samsung Galaxy S7 phone as I know UMS keeps detecting/treating it like a Chromecast so I want to make sure I'm getting full quality / no downcoding of 1440p videos to it and I wound up finding THIS thread which talks about Samsung 4K, UHD, HDR which my TV supports and I'm like oh maybe I can make my TV work even better.
Here's where I start to get out of my depth or maybe am just a noob about UMS... but I've never been able to figure out how to FORCE a particular .conf file (like the one on page 1) for a device (my TV). My TV has always detected and run on the Samsung-CD.conf when I click on it on the Status tab of UMS. I can click that and edit the Samsung-CD file, or click the little File+ icon next to it and build a new/custom conf file... but I can't figure out how to say use THIS conf file (Samsung-UHD.conf for example) for a specific device.... so my solution was to simply rename the original Samsung-CD.conf file and rename the Samsung-UHD.conf from page 1 of this thread to Samsung-CD.conf in the renderers folder... and it seems to have worked fine. several of my 4K videos now when I'm viewing have a "HDR" icon in the title bar I never saw before so I think the TV is recognizing them even better than it was previously.
So I'm basically done with my story... things seem to be working fine but it would be nice to hear if I should have done something differently or if this is a "hey if it works and ain't broke don't fix it" type situation. I mainly want to make sure I'm not cutting off any function with video not getting real 4K/HDR or audio decoding as I'm about to upgrade to an Atmos 7.2 receiver, many of the files I've got say they're encoded with it so I want to make sure I'm properly using the hardware I'm putting in and the audio sections of these .conf files are greek to me.
thanks in advance for your time!
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hello qvy,

The more simple will have to post your log, following these steps, for help us to make a renderer for you.

The explanations can be found in our Wiki.

Download this renderer and place it into your UMS's "renderer" subfolder and run UMS.
In your Samsung case, you'll need to force this new "Samsung 9 Series", as for now nobody provided a KS8000 log, afaicr.
Go in the "General Configuration" tab, in "Default renderer when automatic detection fails:" select "Samsung 9 Series" and finally select "Force default renderer".
Quit and restart UMS, and you should be done ;)
qyv

Post by qyv »

Sami32 wrote:Hello qvy,

The more simple will have to post your log, following these steps, for help us to make a renderer for you.
Hi Sami! thanks for responding. I've seen that response and pointer to that thread all over the forum, the reason I didn't do THAT is because I don't really have a "bug" or "problem" to replicate or something I'm trying to "fix" per se, which that thread says is the most important part :) I guess I can do that if it will help answer my general UMS questions...
Sami32 wrote:The explanations can be found in our Wiki.
I have indeed been through that Wiki and I feel like I'm familiar enough with the various options, such as the ones below. I never did see in there about how to pick a conf file for a device, I suspect that might not even be a thing, and it's more about what UMS "detects", hence the "programming" of conf files. I will be digging much more carefully through the audio section soon to try to answer my own questions :)
Sami32 wrote: Download this renderer and place it into your UMS's "renderer" subfolder and run UMS.
In your Samsung case, you'll need to force this new "Samsung 9 Series", as for now nobody provided a KS8000 log, afaicr.
Go in the "General Configuration" tab, in "Default renderer when automatic detection fails:" select "Samsung 9 Series" and finally select "Force default renderer".
Quit and restart UMS, and you should be done ;)
Thanks! I will play around with that Samsung 9 series conf file... if you don't mind explaining, how does it differ from the Samsung-UHD.conf linked on page 1 of this thread? would it theoretically be the same, or better for my device?

Again, thank you for your suggestions I hope you don't mind me asking questions. I do completely understand what selecting "default renderer" does and also "force default renderer" to force the settings for my Television... but here's my concern with doing that - would it negatively affect when I use my Samsung PHONE (Galaxy s7) ? if the default renderer is the Samsung 9 series TV, and that renderer is forced, wouldn't that mean my phone then tries to use that renderer? would that cause a problem?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Of course it will.

But if you don't make your own renderer or don't post your log, that's the choice that you'll have to make.
Read the links inside my signature below, should be a good start ;)
qyv

Post by qyv »

Sami32 wrote:Of course it will.

But if you don't make your own renderer or don't post your log, that's the choice that you'll have to make.
Read the links inside my signature below, should be a good start ;)
appreciate the advice mate! I'll post again if I have more questions
amonteiro

Post by amonteiro »

Can you help me edit your renderer to show yellow subtitles?

It's the only thing that i can't do.

My topic about that: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10392 I uploaded all the logs and traces etc there.

Thanks!
Bartl1981

Post by Bartl1981 »

Seems to work perfectly fine with my UE55MU6170U. Now the tv recognises all movies and can play it.

Edit:
There are still some movies that do not work -.-
All my movies are mkv format, but my tv says that some of them are mpg and then they wont work.

Edit:
I could watch 2 movies and now nothing works anymore. I get network problems or "an error has occured".
kilik360

Post by kilik360 »

Hi guys thanks a lot for the file (Samsung-UHD.conf). It's working partially for me.

My TV is a UN65KS8000FXZA

I have to add those 3 lines of codes to make it works even better. I can now play files that I wouldn't without.

Supported = f:mkv v:divx|h264|h265|mjpeg|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|vp6|wmv a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|lpcm|mp3|wma m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:mp4 v:divx|h264|h265|mjpeg|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|vp6|wmv a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|lpcm|mp3|wma m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mpegts v:divx|h264|h265|mjpeg|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|vp6|wmv a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|lpcm|mp3|wma m:video/mpeg

I would like to know if you could integrate these new "code" in a more professional look than what I did. This way we could have a better Samsung-UHD.conf.

Here's my file if someone wanna test.

Of course I'll be proud to test your updated .conf files.

Thanks a lot !
Attachments
Samsung-UHD.conf
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
alesk76

Post by alesk76 »

Hi,

I have now QE55Q7FNATXXH

I have problems with my 4K movies .. what do I have to do.. is any specific file or what… ?

please for help….