Philips Android TV PUS6561/12 not showing any file

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Philips Android TV PUS6561/12 not showing any file

Post by SubJunk »

We use a higher value for our Philips Aurea config so I guess it is a matter of just setting a number that will be higher than any video. So I think this should work:

TranscodedVideoFileSize = 100000000000
Dasix

Post by Dasix »

SubJunk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 am We use a higher value for our Philips Aurea config so I guess it is a matter of just setting a number that will be higher than any video. So I think this should work:

I've tried the two conf files for PUS but now my TV can't see my shared folder at all.
Please help me. :cry:
Dasix

Post by Dasix »

Dasix wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 am
SubJunk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 am We use a higher value for our Philips Aurea config so I guess it is a matter of just setting a number that will be higher than any video. So I think this should work:

I've tried the two conf files for PUS but now my TV can't see my shared folder at all.
Please help me. :cry:
I've managed to restore my UMS with your PUS file Subjunk, so no I can watch my content, but without external subs.
Some movies that are in my native language it displays choosable srt files, but this might be from opensubtitles.org or I thought it'll be a transcoding subtitle setting problem, so I deleted the row Audio/Subtitle language priority.
As it seemd that if I watching anything then english it gave me the option to manually choose subs on the TV.
But I still cannot use my external subs for tv shows or english movies. Any ideas please?

Thank you!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Dasix, unfortunately this is just the trial and error that we have to do with each device, because they all expect the data to be given in a different way. Thanks for continuing to test :)
Here is the latest test config for you
Attachments
Philips-PUS.conf
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Andreasryden1980

Post by Andreasryden1980 »

I havent tried the new value yet, but just increasing the value to get it to work.
Sound more like a shortcut and actully dont solve the real problem.

There have to be a reason why the value is needed.
It also like I said shows the wrong file size, so I dont know if there anythong there than messes it up.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I agree it is more of a shortcut/workaround but what Philips is asking from us is impossible - we can't know how big the file will be if we are encoding it on the fly because we use CRF (Constant Rate Factor) in x264 to optimize the bandwidth of transcoded files so it is unpredictable. It means that if nothing moves on the screen, the bitrate will be very low, but if something quickly moves, we give it a lot of bitrate, so it is always matching a "quality".

I guess the developers of the Philips software anticipated media servers that transcode files in advance, or that use constant bitrates for transcoding, but we don't do either of those things and if we did we would be worse.

Basically Philips should update their implementation to be more forgiving of size, in my opinion. Requiring a server to say how big a file is ahead of time, or you only play part of the file, is a silly bug for them to have :)
Andreasryden1980

But I think it is strange that specific line makes if subtitles will be shown or not.

If I remove that line and make a few tweaks (that i prefer) it will show my movies perfectly.
But without subs if they not are embedded in the filé.

Just by activate the filesize line it will show subtitles and start the movie depending on size.

So i dont get why the problem should be if Its cbr or vbr.
Andreasryden1980

Made some google

*Dont Think this is about UMS.
The TV does not support subtitles on video streams from a computer or NAS.

• Containers: PS, TS, M2TS, TTS, AVCHD, MP4, M4V, MKV, ASF, AVI, 3GP, Quicktime
• Video Codecs : AVI, MKV, H264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP9
• Audio Codecs : AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA (v2 up to v9.2), WMA-PRO (v9 and v10)
• Subtitles : – Formats : SRT, SUB, TXT, SMI – Character encodings : UTF-8,
• Image Codecs : JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP
•Limitations : – Maximum supported total bit rate for a media file is 30Mbps. – Maximum supported video bit rate for a media file is 20Mbps.
– MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) is supported up to High Profile @ L5.1.
– H.265 (HEVC) is supported upto Main / Main 10 Profile up to Level 5.1
Supported media server software (DMS)
• You can use any DLNA V1.5 certified media server software (DMS class).
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Andreasryden1980 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:39 pm But I think it is strange that specific line makes if subtitles will be shown or not.

If I remove that line and make a few tweaks (that i prefer) it will show my movies perfectly.
But without subs if they not are embedded in the filé.

Just by activate the filesize line it will show subtitles and start the movie depending on size.

So i dont get why the problem should be if Its cbr or vbr.
What are the tweaks you make? If you have a suggested change to the config please post it. I will likely release the new config in the next version of UMS
Andreasryden1980

This is very strange.

If i Use:
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3
TranscodeAudio = WAV
MaxVideoWidth = 4096
MaxVideoHeight = 2160

I can get the subtilte to be shown for a couple of seconds.
If I change TranscodeAudio = WAV to like Mp3, i wont get any subs.

If i leave audio at WAV and change resolution to 3840, i wont get any subs.

So what am I missing?