recommendations for new renderer

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
scubastevesama

recommendations for new renderer

Post by scubastevesama »

so my ps3 finally died and i'd like to just get a stand alone bluray player. i don't care about wi-fi or 3D. are there any models you all would recommend which work well with UMS? are 1080p videos going to work just as well on a stand alone player as the ps3? e.g. i have only ever used UMS with the ps3, does the ps3's higher processing power make any difference? would a sony bluray player have the same cinivia issues/protections that playstations do since they are a sony product? really i am just looking for models that someone has experience with and would recommend. thanks!
Paradox

Re: recommendations for new renderer

Post by Paradox »

Whatever you buy if you are intent on a Bluray player check the model has a renderer conf file first. Manufacturers have a habit of updating models yearly or more often just for updating sake.

My opinion would be if you do not want wifi, catch up TV services etc from the bluray player but still want something to play bluray discs, buy a cheap bluray player for that purpose and for your streaming media buy a cheap android TV box, shove Kodi on that and that will do all your streaming needs. You should be able to get both for under £100 or $125