Guidelines for translations - escaped unicode

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MAdS

Guidelines for translations - escaped unicode

Post by MAdS »

I was trying to give back to the project by providing a message file for my native language, but i have problem dealing with escaped unicode characters. Is there a practical/recommended way to to have those decoded during edition?

Also would appreciate any tips on having a "whole" file: current translation does not have all lines required in latest version, what's the best way do merge it with current "complete" english file?
leroy

Re: Guidelines for translations - escaped unicode

Post by leroy »

Hey MAdS,

Since I regularly update the UMS Dutch translation some advice, hopefully helpfull.

I use the open-source text editor "Programmer's Notepad" for both translations and renderer config files.
It greys out the out commended lines, so these files are more easy to read.
Also this program can view multiple files at the same time so you can easily compare,
the base English language "messages.properties" file, next with your edited language translation.
http://www.pnotepad.org

On the PS3 Media Server forum, the tool "propertieseditor" is mentioned as a tool to save your language file with,
to deal with the escaped unicode if your language contains any special characters not used in English.
I never used it since this is not required for the Dutch language..
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... ?f=12&t=54

Also, to test your translation you can use the program WinRAR.
First close UMS and then start WinRAR with administrator rights and open the ums.jar, located in the UMS install folder.
You can overwrite your translation in the archive directory: ums.jar\resources\i18n
Restart UMS and you will see your changes.

If you are happy with your changes, upload it to the forum and the developers will be pleased to insert your corrections.

happy editing :)
MAdS

Re: Guidelines for translations - escaped unicode

Post by MAdS »

Thx for feedback leroy. I figured out a process for myself. I found EditPadPro7 that can convert escaped unicode characters (I have a lot of those). And just opening files side by side wasn't too helpful in my case, as current Brazilian Portuguese file has less than half the lines of English file so aligning them was a problem by itself - I used Excel to split and arrange lines side by side.

I can say that it was a little off putting and this hassle to do the translation. I helped translating another project (Networx) that has a very neat, hassle-free process for all of that.

Well, I am halfway there anyway.

Dank u!