Google Music plugin

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SharkHunter
Developer

Google Music plugin

Post by SharkHunter »

Hi!

Yes I've don it again. Can't help it. But I done a new plugin similar to the GrooveShark plugin (which is broken just now, will try and look into it), but this is for GoogleMusic instead.
For those of you who don't know what Google Music is try google :).

Anyway the plugin works exactly as the late GrooveShark plugin and actually has the same settings (just called gm_ instead off gs_). There is one huge difference and that is that GMusic requires you to login. This means that you must supply your username,password combination. This is should be done to the credentials file (used by Channels for example).
Add the line gmusic=user,pwd to that file. If you dont know where this file can be found it is found at the same location as the UMS.conf.

So off you go grab your own copy here https://github.com/downloads/SharkHunte ... in_011.jar or use the plugin installer.
NOTE!!!
If you use the plugin installer you MUST edit the UMS.cred and restart UMS to get your credentials in there.

/SharkHunter
Last edited by SharkHunter on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
tenticle56

Re: Google Music plugin

Post by tenticle56 »

SharkHunter,

Nice work! This looks excellent. Stable as a rock on my first try :-)

Your name has popped back into these forums at just the right time. I've recently been hacking on jim_k's old Spotify plugin ( http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... =11&t=9335 ), to see if I can get it working with modern versions of libspotify. This would be wildly popular; I've lost count of the users asking about it on WP.

There are a couple of big short-comings with jim's Spotify plugin:
- Firstly, it needs patches to the PMS/UMS codebase to install. I admit I don't know core PMS/UMS well enough to easily progress this to a more user-friendly solution. However, the fact you have now plugins working for a couple of the other big streaming service leads me to believe you may already have a pretty solid framework to intergrate this properly.
- Secondly, the need to compile in auth details - which I believe you've also already solved via a credientials file :-)

I know you looked into Spotify briefly in the past. Any suggestions you can offer? Or any chance we can help out to bring your previous efforts to fruition?

Once again, awesome work with gmusic - you are a star!

~Tent
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Thx for the nice word (even though GrooveShark has been non working for awhile).As for Spotify yes I got a bit further on but my main problem with jims stuff was that I couldn't compile with a new libspotify.dll version. The auth details I solved (including the apikey stuff) but that's the thing I need help with. I'm too cheap to buy myself a Spotify premium and thus I can't test this. I can send you what I got this far (if you can fix the libspotify stuff). We can take it over PM from here.

BTW. I'm wondering if I should make it possible to have multiple accounts on Gmusic. What do you say?
tenticle56

Post by tenticle56 »

Thanks Shark.

I admit I am not a huge Gmusic user - I never got around to uploading much of my library before Spotify won me over. But yes, the idea of multiple accounts - and thus access to multiple libraries - would certainly be a great feature.

I'd love to build on your Spotify code if you still have it. At the moment I do have the same issues compiling against newer versions of the libspotify.dll, because jim's JLibSpotify and LibSpotify-plusplus wrappers need to be updated. Also, if you still had an interest in this yourself, Spotify are still offering a 32 day free trial of Premium in many locations. I could also lend you my Premium account for testing.

Anyways, I don't mean to hijack your thread, so I'll get in touch via PM. Congrats again on the neat gmusic plugin! I think it's going to be quite popular :-)
RavenFire

Post by RavenFire »

Nice... I love google music..
Going to try to give this a try - although I have a feeling I'll need my USA vpn running to get it to work!
Ohvee

Post by Ohvee »

I plopped the jar into the plugins folder, but the log says the GoogleMusic plugin is missing credentials.
You mentioned the credentials file earlier, but I'm really not sure what it is referring to (if that's what the error is referencing).
francadaniel

Post by francadaniel »

Same here: "GoogleMusic plugin missing credentials"
I've created the .cred file in the UMS folder, and check the path in the conf file, but still this doesnt seem to be working

Any help!

P.d thaks by the way!
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

You must create (in the same dir as the UMS.conf) a file called UMS.cred. To that line add

Code: Select all

gmusic=user,pwd
Where you swap in your user and pwd. If you used the Plugin installer the UMS.cred file will be auto created but it will lack the gmusic config line
francadaniel

Post by francadaniel »

Well, it turns out that the UMS was looking for the .cred file in another path, not the one where the program was installed but the one where the profiles are saved (or something like that)
Now, the Google Music menu appears on my TV, but still it doesnt seem to work. The TV is displaying the folders "All songs" and "playlists" (and a sub folder for every playlist i have in my GM) but there's no content in any of them: a messeage apperars saying that is not possible to get any content.

I have tried browsing by Music, by Video and by Photo, but is not working with any of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Daniel

p.s: sorry for my english, i'm form Argentina!
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes Google made some change so when you try and browse the actual music tracks the plugin doesn't work anymore. I'll look in to it.