Jumpy Plugin (26 October 2016)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
excaliburr

Re: Jumpy Plugin (26 February 2016)

Post by excaliburr »

Hi

How do I use jumpy to get youtube videos? I installed the plugin , and I see that I have a jumpy folder in the client. But how does youtube stuff work. This is a huge thread to go through so I would appreciate if one gives me some pointers in the right direction.

thanks
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

RinkADinKiDo wrote:All I get on the UMS is a 'jumpy' folder with nothing in it.
Hi RinkADinKiDo, apologies for the late reply but I was travelling :) . If you haven't figured it out already, according to your setup.log the problem is that the Jumpy installer wasn't run as administrator and couldn't install some required python libraries. Try a direct install as described in the Jumpy quick setup instructions (the key is to launch the installer with right-click > Run as administrator).
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

excaliburr wrote:How do I use jumpy to get youtube videos?
There are 3 ways to watch youtube videos using UMS+Jumpy:
  • WEB.conf: If you add youtube rss feeds to WEB.conf, you will be able to browse and play files listed in the feed. Here's an example line for the Last Week Tonight feed.

Code: Select all

videofeed.Web,Last Week Tonight=http://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?user=lastweektonight

Note that this requires jumpy to be installed, since UMs alone won't be able to resolve (i.e. scrape) the actual video link, this is a service that jumpy performs in the background.
  • Install the Youtube addon for Kodi (it should be already installed by the jumpy installer, but if not do it yourself in Kodi). Jumpy will automatically find this and you will be able to browse/play the folders and links shown in the addon. Note that since there's no easy way to do text entry in DLNA, you won't be able to search from UMS, and will need to set up your searches in Kodi.
  • The most flexible way, allowing searching, is to find your videos in your web browser and 'bump' (i.e. push) them to your TV via the UMS bump browser bookmarklet. This is only possible for upnp-controllable renderers (i.e. renderers whose popup panel in UMS show playback controls), and unfortunately has the most complicated setup since youtube is over https and you must also run the UMS web interface over https otherwise your browser won't load and run the required javascript (bump.js). Here's the procedure:
    • Generate a self-signed keystore file called UMS.jks in the ums program folder with the java keytool commandline utility (using this password: umsums).
    • Add this setting to UMS.conf:

use_https = true
    • Restart ums.
    • Generate a new copy of the bump bookmarklet so it now points to the new https address by opening the UMS web interface page at https://127.0.0.1:9001/bump and following the instructions (replacing 127.0.0.1 with your actual UMS address, e.g. 192.168.1.7, if you are browsing from another device).
    • Now you can go to any youtube page and push it to any upnp-enabled renderer by launching the bump bookmarklet and pressing play.
    • Note that when you connect to the UMS web interface your browser will warn you that the page at https://UMS_IP:9001 is 'unsafe' because its certificate is self-signed and can't be verified with an independent certificate authority. Once you're connected to the web interface the bump bookmarklet will work on youtube and other https sites (as long as you have jumpy to act as a resolver for the youtube urls). I've been using ums this way for a long time now :)
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

infidel

That solution works. Thanks for the detailed reply. However I have couple issues with it if you do not mind me asking for.

- How do I choose video quality? I want to be able to choose optimum quality for network reasons.

- How do I deal with youtube channels? I can get the user list but I am unable to do with channels.

- How do I properly show the length of the youtube videos in my client. They either list nothing or show 10 hours.

thanks
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

excaliburr wrote:That solution works.
Which one are we talking about? I gave you 3 :).
excaliburr wrote:How do I choose video quality?
  • If you're referring to the WEB.conf or bump methods, there isn't any direct way. In this case jumpy is using either youtube-dl or the Kodi urlresolver in the background, and I haven't implemented any specific setting for that. So you'll likely be defaulting to each tool's preference (best available quality for youtube-dl, or the user-configured quality for the Kodi youtube addon (which is called by the Kodi urlresolver).
  • If you're browsing the Kodi youtube addon, there's a user setting for quality as mentioned above.
excaliburr wrote:How do I deal with youtube channels?
  • If you're referring to the WEB.conf method, see here for info on youtube rss url format/structure.
  • If you use the Kodi youtube addon, it will keep track of your youtube user account, including subscriptions and searches (I don't use it myself and don't have a youtube account, so I can't help much with details. See the addon's support forum).
  • There's no way to push channels, playlists, etc, in the bump method, only the current page.
excaliburr wrote:How do I properly show the length of the youtube videos in my client. They either list nothing or show 10 hours.
I assume you mean with the WEB.conf method? It means UMS has no information about the length, and I don't have a fix for that, alas :).
RinkADinKiDo

Post by RinkADinKiDo »

infidel wrote:the problem is that the Jumpy installer wasn't run as administrator and couldn't install some required python libraries.
Thank you, infidel.

If it means anything, I did try that but it took so long that I didn't think it was doing anything... I ended up doing it through the UMS.

Anyway, I appreciate your dealing with my insignificant, ignorant problem.

Um, although, it's quite possible that you have not have heard the last of me, I'm afraid.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

infidel

Sorry I totally overlooked how the solutions might differ based on the solution.

I use the WEB.conf method.

Is there a way to edit the youtube plugin to hard code the format? I do not mind patching it for now. The videos come highres so my players a bit choppuy playing.

I will try the rest of the solutions you offered.

thanks
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

RinkADinKiDo wrote: I did try that but it took so long that I didn't think it was doing anything...
2 things to try:
  • If by any chance you didn't already do this, make sure UMS is not running when you run the installer as admin.
  • Install python to the default c:\python27 location (or any path without spaces or parentheses) instead of your Program Files folder, where you have it now
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

excaliburr wrote:Is there a way to edit the youtube plugin to hard code the format?
In your case I think this would be sufficient:
  • In the gui go to Jumpy > Scripts > Resolver and assign priority 1 to xbmc-urlresolver (and priority 2 to youtube-dl), and save.
  • In Kodi, set your preferred quality in the Youtube addon's user settings.
  • Restart UMS
This will cause jumpy to always try Kodi before youtube-dl when resolving media links, and you should end up streaming at your preferred quality. You can verify which tool and what quality link was selected in jumpy.log:

[jumpy] xbmc-urlresolver : https://r6---sn-8xgp1vo-2iar.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?mt=...
and the Kodi addon's output, including quality info, will be immediately above it.

I'd also reiterate that for the richest "youtube" experience you may want to set everything up to your liking in Kodi, and then just browse the Kodi youtube addon folder from your UMS Jumpy folder.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

infidel

The problem is that Kodi is not installable on my Debian testing. It seems broken. Also I am getting errors with the jumpy installer. The installer does not ask for sudo btw, so not sure what admin rights it is talking about there.

jumpy-0.3.9b.jar is installed
checking python
Python 2.7.12+
setting python.path = python
+ python is installed
checking py4j
+ py4j==0.9 is installed
checking py4j version
checking bs4
+ beautifulsoup4 is installed
checking lxml
+ lxml is installed
checking polib
+ polib is installed
checking kodi
checking xbmc
need admin rights to install xbmc
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
sorry, unable to install kodi/xbmc for your distro
please follow the 'Linux' link on the kodi downloads page for instructions
adding jumpy repo
downloading http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/jarvis/s ... -2.9.0.zip

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
checking rtmpdump
RTMPDump v2.4
setting rtmpdump.path = rtmpdump
+ rtmpdump is installed
checking phantomjs
+ phantomjs is installed
checking youtube-dl
Installing youtube-dl 2016.10.19

So given that something is broken, how do i install the kodi youtube plugin manually? Will I still need xmbc full package?

Also is jumpy streaming youtube videos from youtube to my UMS server than to the client? Or is it just providing the direct youtube link to the client?

thanks