Can i delete files from my consoles?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
players88

Can i delete files from my consoles?

Post by players88 »

I use UMS to watch my downloaded TV shows(on my PC is where the server is running) to my PS3 and on my Xbox360 but would like the feature offered when im done watching a file or show to be able to delete it without going into the computer that hosts it and deleting it manually. Is there any plug ins or anything i can do this with? Why is this not a feature of Universal Media Server?
Dosageko

Re: Can i delete files from my consoles?

Post by Dosageko »

this request is always asked for. just read the forum and you will easy find some threads about it :-)
I would love to have an delete function but the point why we dont have it is because of security.
maybe sometime we can have it as extra plugin so thats we can choice to use it or not?
taconaut

Post by taconaut »

I had a bit of spare time on my hands and wrote a plugin for you :) Have a look at the instructions here.

The 'move to recycle bin' option is supposed to work on all platforms, but I've only tested it only with Win10. Please tell me if everything works fine if you try it on other platforms.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

What about the the thumbnail generation from position after 80% of file? Is it taken as file was played beyond this border so it will be deleted? 8-)
taconaut

Post by taconaut »

@Export No, the play time is being counted by the plugin using the start/stop notifications. Good point though, as I forgot to mention there isn't a notification coming from UMS when a file is being paused and thus pause time will be counted as play time.
taconaut

Post by taconaut »

Anybody tested this on OSX and/or linux? I'd like to create a new thread for the plugin once it has been confirmed that it's working as expected.
kcroke

Post by kcroke »

I know this is a year after the fact, but I can't get this functionality to work in linux.

It doesn't appear to be trying. I'm actually trying the move functionality (3).

I'm not seeing anything in the logs about it trying to move the file.

Here are the logs when the show finishes playing:
DEBUG 2016-12-16 22:38:54.701 [StopPlaying Event] Matched media renderer "[LG] webOS TV OLED55B6P" based on address /192.168.42.212
INFO 2016-12-16 22:38:54.705 [StopPlaying Event] Stopped playing Westworld - S01E03 - The Stray.mkv on your [LG] webOS TV OLED55B6P
DEBUG 2016-12-16 22:38:54.708 [StopPlaying Event] The full filename of which is: /mnt/tv/Westworld/Westworld - S01E03 - The Stray.mkv and the address of the renderer is: 192.168.42.212
DEBUG 2016-12-16 22:38:54.724 [StopPlaying Event] adding "Westworld - S01E03 - The Stray" to playlist "Recently Played"
DEBUG 2016-12-16 22:39:13.190 [UPNP-AliveMessageSender] Sending ALIVE...
Since this is an old thread, I'll also start a new thread to see if anyone else may know, but I would be interested in the location of the code that is supposed to delete or move the file after it is watched.

Thanks,
Kevin
kcroke

Post by kcroke »

I just realized that you were referring to a plugin and not native functionality that appears to now be apart of UMS. There is a place in the config file that states:
# Fully played action
# --------------------
# What to do with a file after it has been fully played.
# The following options are available:
#
# 0 = Do nothing
# 1 = Mark media (Add a thumbnail overlay or prefix the media name)
# 2 = Hide video
# 3 = Move file to a different folder
# 4 = Move file to recycle/trash bin. It will not do anything if this isn't
# possible
#
# Default: 1
That being said, am I correct in assuming you wrote your plugin prior to this being native functionality? Should I try your plugin if I am having a problem with said functionality?

Either way, I'm definitely going to start a new thread because I realize I am off topic. Thanks!
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hello...

I am new to this forum having recently installed UMS on Win10 1703 and utilizing it either through my Samsung TV are WD TV LIVE unit. In either case I've not run across this decision tree option
of what to do with the file after it completes the showing.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I was curious if it was still available in 6.7.3 since I had these options with WD TV LIVE but could never get Network Sharing to work well after Win10 conversion
which is another topic all together.

Best Regards