Version 7.1.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Version 7.1.0 released

Post by SubJunk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 pm

General:

You can download it from the front page.

This release improves support for Panasonic and Samsung TVs, improves stability, improves the web interface, fixes many bugs and more!


Changes since 7.0.1:
  • General:
    • Aspect ratio is maintained in web interface thumbnails
    • Updated web interface to play OGA audio
    • Cleaned up and fixed DefaultRenderer.conf
    • Display whether video is a sample with prettifying enabled
    • Fixed AAC audio parsing via FFmpeg
    • Fixed movie edition not being displayed
    • Fixed handling of multiple video streams while transcoding
    • Improved logging
    • Fixed Resume file support on some renderers
    • Fixed maximum memory setting on Java 9+
  • Languages:
    • Added Croatian translation (thanks, Ram Demon!)
    • Updated translations via Crowdin
    • Fixed incorrect translations being applied to some settings
  • Renderers:
    • Improved support for Panasonic DX series TVs
    • Fixed external ASS/SSA subtitles support on Samsung 8 and 9 series TVs
  • Dependencies:
    • Updated MediaInfo to 18.03.1

Compatibility notes:

These releases work on all versions of Java 7 onwards.
The Windows releases work on Windows Vista onwards.

boss
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by boss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Can you advise if there have been any changes to try and resolve the "Java Heap Space" memory issue.
Thanks

erick diangilis
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:25 am

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by erick diangilis » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 am

hi guys thanks for this new release i will run some tests for a few days on the ps4 media player if i find something to report i'll let you know.
keep up with the good work and god bless. :D

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by SubJunk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm

boss wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm
Can you advise if there have been any changes to try and resolve the "Java Heap Space" memory issue.
Thanks
In a way there have been because now the Windows installer should set a bigger heap space by default. So the problem is still there but it will take longer to appear now for most Windows users. We will still continue to investigate and improve/fix it in coming releases too

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by SubJunk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:09 pm

erick diangilis wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 am
hi guys thanks for this new release i will run some tests for a few days on the ps4 media player if i find something to report i'll let you know.
keep up with the good work and god bless. :D
Thanks erick!

boss
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by boss » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:42 pm

SubJunk wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm
boss wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm
Can you advise if there have been any changes to try and resolve the "Java Heap Space" memory issue.
Thanks
In a way there have been because now the Windows installer should set a bigger heap space by default. So the problem is still there but it will take longer to appear now for most Windows users. We will still continue to investigate and improve/fix it in coming releases too
I'm using a headless Linux server. I can increase the heap space but as you say, it just delays the issue a bit longer until it happens again.

I currently have to run a cron job to restart UMS every 2 days. And that is without caching turned on. With caching turned on a lot of times I cannot get even 24 hours before UMS crashes.

It's been a problem for a while now and it affecting a lot of users.

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by SubJunk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 pm

We are aware of the problem and it mostly seems to happen to people who play music a lot - probably because they go through lots of files since the duration is shorter, and because of album covers taking up memory. The problem was created in UMS v5 so you can use v4 if you want until we have done more fixes.

boss
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by boss » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm

SubJunk wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 pm
We are aware of the problem and it mostly seems to happen to people who play music a lot - probably because they go through lots of files since the duration is shorter, and because of album covers taking up memory. The problem was created in UMS v5 so you can use v4 if you want until we have done more fixes.
The scenario I mentioned happens when I am not even using UMS. It is running on the server and an LG WebOS TV is running but not using UMS.
Even a trace log (UMS running for 2 days until crash) is around 950MB.

I also have 2 LG-BP550 bluray players but these don't seem to be a problem. Just when the LG WebOS TV is on.

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by SubJunk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:39 pm

In that case maybe you are experiencing a different problem. I know from your PMs that it was happening for you in v6.8 but can you try older releases to try to see when it started? Maybe try v4 and v5? Knowing when the problem started is very useful for debugging this kind of hard-to-find problem

boss
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Version 7.1.0 released

Post by boss » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 pm

I tried V7.1.0 (Linux headless) and UMS won't start.
It gets java heap space errors and crashes before starting completely.

EDIT: I deleted the data and database folders and restarted and now UMS starts OK.

Post Reply