Version 7.6.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 7.6.0 released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

You can download it from the front page.

This is a big release with code contributions from 13 developers, and involvement from many more people for pre-release testing, translations, etc.
It adds support for Samsung native resuming feature, major improvements to the web interface accessibility, speed, stability, format support, and more!

Soon we will be start our 8.0.0 pre-release cycle, which usually involves releasing alpha/beta versions so we can get feedback on the new features and any bugs before the full release.
This one will be centered around web feeds like podcasts and web streaming.
We will continue to release 7.x.x builds in parallel with bugfixes and minor updates, so please continue to report any bugs you find. We are really focusing on stability lately and will continue to.

Changes since 7.5.0:
  • General:
    • Started to release installer wizard for macOS (thanks, js-kyle!)
    • Started to use the "Album Artist" field for better audio file browsing of compilations (thanks, maciekberry!)
    • Improved network connection stability (thanks, reorder!)
    • Improved the web interface's accessibility and support for remote controls (thanks, acanive!)
    • Removed the broken whitelist functionality (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Removed the broken plugins functionality (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Improved the Docker configuration (thanks, atamariya!)
    • Improved the speed of our automated testing suite
    • Improved automated testing of filename prettifying (thanks, stasinos!)
    • Improved our default folder sharing stability (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Improved support for aspect ratio and scan order (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Improved file scanning/parsing speed
    • Fixed tsMuxeR on macOS (thanks, onon765trb!)
    • Fixed burning picture subtitles when other filters are also used in FFmpeg
    • Fixed FFmpeg not enabling the GPU configuration toggle
    • Fixed thumbnails not persisting to the database unless TRACE logging is enabled
    • Fixed binaries not being picked up from the PATH on Linux (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Fixed support for Java 10+ on Linux
    • Added build documentation to BUILD.md
    • Updated documentation in CONTRIBUTING.md and STYLEGUIDE.md
    • Improved code formatting (thanks, drakulis!)
  • Formats/Codecs: (thanks, Sami32!)
    • Added recognition of video codecs: ASF, FFV1, RLE, S4UD, TGA and VRO
    • Added recognition of audio formats: CAF
    • Added recognition of audio codecs: CELP, MACE, Nellymoser and QCELP
    • Fixed parsing of framerates via MediaInfo
    • Improved recognition of AAC, FLV and WMA
  • Renderers:
    • Added support for Bush Freeview (thanks, atamariya!)
    • Added support for the built-in "Resume" functionality on Samsung TVs (thanks, drakulis!)
    • Improved support for H.264 codec and SRT subtitles on PS4 (thanks, fgimenezm!)
  • Languages:
    • Updated translations via Crowdin:
      • Arabic translation updated
      • Bulgarian translation updated
      • Catalan translation updated
      • Chinese Simplified translation updated
      • Chinese Traditional translation updated
      • Croatian translation updated
      • Czech translation updated
      • Danish translation updated
      • Dutch translation updated
      • Finnish translation updated
      • French translation completed and validated
      • German translation updated
      • Greek translation updated
      • Hungarian translation updated
      • Italian translation updated
      • Japanese translation updated
      • Korean translation updated
      • Norwegian translation updated
      • Persian translation updated
      • Polish translation completed and validated
      • Portuguese translation updated
      • Portuguese (Brazilian) translation updated
      • Romanian translation updated
      • Russian translation updated
      • Slovak translation updated
      • Slovenian translation updated
      • Serbian (Cyrillic) translation updated
      • Spanish translation completed
      • Swedish translation updated
      • Turkish translation updated
  • Dependencies:
    • Added commons-text 1.3 (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Updated Cling to 2.1.2
    • Updated commons-io to 2.6 (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Updated commons-lang3 to 3.7
    • Updated JUnrar to 1.0.1 (thanks, Nadahar!)
    • Updated Seamless to 1.1.2
    • Updated sevenzip jbinding to 9.20-2.00beta
    • Updated tsMuxeR on macOS to 2.6.11

Compatibility notes:

These releases work on all versions of Java 7 onwards.
The Windows releases work on Windows Vista onwards.
Uzerrr

Re: Version 7.6.0 released

Post by Uzerrr »

Woa!
Changeloge is very impressive. I would like to say big THANK YOU to everyone for this amazing app.
Cheers!
erick diangilis

Post by erick diangilis »

thanks subjunk for this new release and also thanks sami and others as well i'll test this out on the ps4 media player using ps4 pro if i find something i'll let you guys know.
impressive list of of updates and changes good work guys and i can't wait to try the new 8 versions.

keep up with the good work and godbless have a nice weekend. :D
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Thanks for the update, and thanks to everyone who contributed, and keep up the good work.

Edit: Again, like the last couple of updates, no update is found if i press "Check for updates" in 7.5.0
pipin

Post by pipin »

Thanks for this big update.

Just one glitch. Ok two.
First time on my tv no video files were found, i had to select "show all files" after that they were found even if i selected "video files" only.
And the already played videos arent marked no more. :(
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Uzerrr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:56 pm Woa!
Changeloge is very impressive. I would like to say big THANK YOU to everyone for this amazing app.
Cheers!
Thanks Uzerrr :)
erick diangilis wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:32 am thanks subjunk for this new release and also thanks sami and others as well i'll test this out on the ps4 media player using ps4 pro if i find something i'll let you guys know.
impressive list of of updates and changes good work guys and i can't wait to try the new 8 versions.

keep up with the good work and godbless have a nice weekend. :D
Thanks erick, have a nice weekend too!
squadjot wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:55 am Thanks for the update, and thanks to everyone who contributed, and keep up the good work.

Edit: Again, like the last couple of updates, no update is found if i press "Check for updates" in 7.5.0
Thanks squadjot :) That problem seems to resolve itself for you doesn't it?
pipin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 pm Thanks for this big update.

Just one glitch. Ok two.
First time on my tv no video files were found, i had to select "show all files" after that they were found even if i selected "video files" only.
And the already played videos arent marked no more. :(
Thanks for the report pipin. Maybe there is an issue with the new Samsung resuming code. I will make a note about it for drakulis to look at
pipin

Post by pipin »

SubJunk wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:46 pmThanks for the report pipin. Maybe there is an issue with the new Samsung resuming code. I will make a note about it for drakulis to look at
Thats possible, there was one other thing too. I don't use resume, its not activated in my config. But now its working on my Samsung without the virtual resume file. :D
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
drakulis

Post by drakulis »

pipin wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 am I don't use resume, its not activated in my config. But now its working on my Samsung without the virtual resume file. :D
Yes, it is feature recently added to UMS. No virtual resume on Samsung devices anymore! ;)
pipin

Post by pipin »

drakulis wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:46 am
pipin wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 am I don't use resume, its not activated in my config. But now its working on my Samsung without the virtual resume file. :D
Yes, it is feature recently added to UMS. No virtual resume on Samsung devices anymore! ;)
Nice, Santa is early this year. ;)
Regards,
Jens
-----------
madman555

Post by madman555 »

I was using 7.3.0 and my custom renderer for my Samsung and it's been working. I updated to 7.6.0 tonight and now I'm getting this:
00:42:50 INFO Process "/Applications/Universal Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/osx/ffmpeg" has a return code of 139! Maybe an error occurred... check the log file

Can anyone point me where to find the log files?

Update: I think I found the log files. UMS is appending .mpg to all x265 mkv files (filename.mkv.mpg) and I think it's failing to play because it thinks it's a mpg. Like I mentioned, it was working on 7.3.0 and I don't remember it appending .mpg.

Also, UMS doesn't always start up. Well, it does, but the GUI doesn't appear. Is there a way to completely uninstall? I'm on Mac OS Mojave.

Update 2: I see that it's appending .mpg because of my renderer, specifically this line:
Supported = f:mpegts v:h264|h265 a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|wma m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts w:4096 h:2160

When I change m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts to m:video/x-mkv, I'm getting the error 139 again. I think I'm having an issue with ffmpeg. Trying MEncoder returned an error 1.

I also tried going back to version 7.3.0 but am still facing the same problem. I do want to note that the first time I installed 7.6.0, I ran the installer. I'm not sure what modifications that made. I've been using the dmg since

If I delete all the support files and run the wizard, the GUI works but then will stop working