Yes, I'd like to join in with the praise, as it is a very handy feature that I'm sure to be using!
Sadly, I'll have to start by sharing some failure's as feedback, but this hopefully gives some chance of further improvement:
1) A few days ago I installed Channels, worked flawlessly, but when trying MovieInfo, nothing happened. Debug.log gave away the probable reason (new timestamps, as I just reproduced it):
- Code: Select all
DEBUG 2012-07-21 21:20:00.555 [Thread-17] install plugin MovieInfo type 1
DEBUG 2012-07-21 21:20:01.185 [Thread-17] download of plugin MovieInfo failed java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: <html><body>You are being <a href="http://cloud.github.com/downloads/SharkHunter/MovieInfo/mi_inst.txt">redirected</a>.</body></html>
2) As mentioned, channels installed nicely a few days back. Today I saw in the channels thread that a new version was released.
So, I tried just using the Plugin Installer, thinking it also would help upgrading the plugins, which turned out wrong.
Now, I've got both tv_plug_188.jar and tv_plug_189.jar which both loads on start, so I get double instances.
My guess is that the installer needs to discern installation and upgrading (to keep track of files to be deleted), or one would have to simply use the same file names to make sure the plugins overwrite themselves (this would however mean that there could be unused files left behind, if a certain file no longer is distributed with a later version of the plugin).
In my case I believe it'll be fine by just removing the tv_plug_188.jar file and I'm good to go.