PS4 and UMS some specific files wont play

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
apg1981

PS4 and UMS some specific files wont play

Post by apg1981 »

Hello i am new to the UMS forums and UMS itself. I was trying to find an alternative to PS3 Media Server and it seems that this is it. Anyway I am just having a small problem with a few files...at first i thought it was just anime files because of something to do with the file type or subtitles but that isnt the case. I have a new episode of stephen colbert for instance (that also has subtitles) that wont let me fast forward or rewind. Basically my problem is just that...the files will play they take a bit to load but they will play but I just cant fast forward or rewind them. Somehow I still believe it has something to do with the subtitles but i could be wrong maybe its just an encoding thing in general. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

P.S. Just tried the Stephen Colbert file as well as a few of the anime fiels in question with no transcoding and it opened instantly and allows me to FF and Rewind if that helps.
Tadrith

Re: PS4 and UMS some specific files wont play

Post by Tadrith »

The cause of the issue that you are seeing is that the PS4's media player does not allow FF/RW of transcoded files. This is an inherent issue with the PS4's media player and is not an issue with the media server. If you would like FF/RW to work for the files of question, you would need to re-encode them to a format that the PS4 natively supports.