Deleting the logs

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
pony

Deleting the logs

Post by pony »

okay, so I have my movies on my home server, and share selected folders to my TV... Kids fillms when the kids are around and...uhhh well other things when they are not... I have shown my kids how to select the relevant shared folders and restart the server if it goes out etc.. The problem is that the kids are now better at using UMS than I am... I settled in for an evening of antique adult films, only to realize that the kids can now clearly see that Debbie does Dallas, Deep throat, and even Tailgunners have been sent to the TV :oops: ... Please, without having to DBAN my whole system, and burn down my house to destroy the evidence, how do I delete the logs????... and IF that is possible, how do I also ensure that the program never even thinks of keeping another log?? Thanks...
Nadahar

Re: Deleting the logs

Post by Nadahar »

You can delete logs by quit'ing UMS and go to <profile folder>. In there you'll find "debug.log" and possibly "debug.log.prev". Delete those. <profile folder> varies by platform and configurations, but on a default Windows setup it is %programdata%\UMS. On Linux, it defaults to ~/.config/UMS.

To disable logging, go to the "Logs" tab. On the bottom of the scrren, close to the right, there is "Log level". Set that to "off".
pony

Post by pony »

Okay I went to C:\Program Files\Universal Media Server an poked around a little, and cannot find the files I'm supposed to delete... A more in depth explanation of how to find those files (at the computer skill level of a Labradoor) would be appreciated. I have had to shut down my home server and tell the kids it is because Mickey mouse is in bed sick, so a swift reply would be awesome...
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It would help if you'd read what I write. They are not in "%programfiles%\UMS" but "%programdata%\UMS". To get there easily, open "run" from windows taskbar and paste the path expression there. %programdata% is usually C:\ProgramData, but that can vary from by installation and OS language. C:\ProgramData is also hidden by default.

I somehow doubt that deleting those logs will solve anything. Do your kids really read through the log? UMS' logfile is rewritten each time UMS is started (and the old one is copied to "debug.log.prev". All you'll have to do is therefore to restart UMS twice and both the log and the .prev file should be replaced.

I'm guessing the problem is somewhere else, but I'm not sure where. Where do these previously played files appear? UMS doesn't keep any list of that... so my guess is that your renderer does. In that case, you have to figure out how to delete that from your renderer, there's nothing UMS can do about that.