UMS not visible from Windows 7 VLC Media Player

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
acoustics4audio

UMS not visible from Windows 7 VLC Media Player

Post by acoustics4audio »

I am trying to setup a library of FLAC files to play from various devices on my home network. I am trying to playback files at the original quality without transcoding to a lossy format.

I have been testing playback on Android (Google Pixel Android 7.1.1) and on a Windows 7 Home Edition which is my recording studio computer with the fancy audio interface and monitors. I am using VLC Media Player as the test player on the devices. The player on Android seems to be able to find the UMS without a problem and navigate through the file folder structure. File playback appears to be fine on the Pixel.

On the Windows 7 VLC however, the UMS does not come up as a Media device when I browse through the application. I am able to see UMS in the File Explorer listed as a media device. I also can see the UMS if I browse with the Windows Media Player, but I can't find any of the files or folders in the server.

I do not understand why I don't seem to be able to find the server when browsing with VLC and why I can't find any of the media files when I browse using Windows Media Player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I included the log files.
acoustics4audio

Re: UMS not visible from Windows 7 VLC Media Player

My attachments don't seem to have worked. I am trying via Dropbox.

LOGS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb2ik0r9spipn ... g.zip?dl=0

Screenshot of network browsing through VLC player on Windows 7 Home Edition

Screenshot of networking browsing through File Explorer on the same machine

kristomanger

Post by kristomanger »

Im going to 2nd this and say I'm the 3rd person from what I see on the forums with this issue. My window is nonexistent
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@acoustics4audio It seem that you VLC install is not detected by UMS. I'm not sure if VLC 3.0.0 give a mess in the registry or the fact that your have 2 different VLC versions and that UMS became lost...

Could you delete your VLCs, clean your registry from all VLC entries and re install VLC 3.0.0 only.
Make a new test, and if this issue issue still occur, edit your ums.conf file, the one in your profile folder, and modify this line with the correct VLC executable path:

Code: Select all

vlc_path =
Hoping that helped.

P.S. Don't forget to give feedback or post a new log is this issue still occur.
acoustics4audio

@Sami32 My apologies for my late reply, I didn't get any notification that there were responses to my post.

I uninstalled my VLC install on the Windows 7 machine. I am not completely sure the best way to go about cleaning the registry other than manual searching for the string VLC.

I am not finding a VLC 3.0.0 but only VLC 2.2.5.1 -- Is VLC 3.0.0 a Beta?

I wonder if I am missing something.

I am able to play files fine from Android VLC, but I am unable to play from Windows 7 or 10 via VLC or MS Media Player.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@acoustics4audio Don't worry, sometimes it happen to me as well ;)

I saw it in your log, but i cannot acces your log anymore so...
You can download VLC from there: (Select your OS version, as i cannot remember what it was)
https://nightlies.videolan.org/index.html

And don't forget to configure your firewall for VLC.
acoustics4audio

@Sami32 It occurs to me that now I am in the realm of unsupported software, I won't be able to use this as a solution for my client.

Are there other players (primarily for audio/FLAC) that do have a functional implementation for Windows 7 or Windows 10? As I mentioned I have been using VLC on Android and that seems to work fine. The player on my Roku seems to be unable to handle the file formats but it does at least see the server on the network.

I am wondering if it would be better just to do Windows shares and SMB/Samba server.

Thanks for your help!
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@acoustics4audio Foobar2000 come to my mind, but we still didn't make any renderer configuration file, though you can create your own. If you really need, i can try to make you one.
MediaMonkey is really not my cup of tea, too slow and freezing for my taste, but we have an half made renderer on our Github site.

Sorry for not being of much help.
acoustics4audio

@Sami32 You are being of help, thank you!

Here's my logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb2ik0r9spipn ... g.zip?dl=0

The behavior that I seeing on Windows is the following:

On Windows 10 systems I see the "Hendrik's UMS" server listed as a media device in Network in the File Explorer. When I click on the server, a browser is opened and I see 10.0.0.105:5001/console/index.html. I don't know what the protocol is. Scan Folders doesn't seem to do anything other than announcing that a scan is in progress.

If I choose Open Media Player in Network via File Explorer, when I right click on the UMS server, Windows Media Player opens but UMS doesn't show that there are any media files to play. No files have been found in this remote library.

If I use VLC 3.0.0 and choose Open Media and browse to Network, the server isn't listed (nor are any other media devices), so there is no way to open the server. I get the same behavior with foobar2000.

This is probably obvious to everyone else, but...

How are you supposed to launch a player on Windows that will either see the UMS server or allow me to browse to the UMS server? Is there a web interface that is supposed to allow me to launch a player? It seems extremely unlikely that the Android version of the player is more sophisticated than the Windows version of the player.

Thanks again for the help!
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Sorry, as a non english native i've difficulty to understand you.
I don't have any issue seing UMS from VLC, MediaMonkey...or a web interface, as long as they are on the same network's submask.
That's said, WMP is known to not work correctly with UMS. DLNA not been efficiently implemented.

So, if it's not your case, i suspect an incorrect firewall(s) (in Windows, in router) configuration on your side.
It has been reported that closing/disabling MSI afterburner and/or Rivatuner on Windows 10 latest update made UMS work as expected.
@Nadahar is the one among us that is the more aware about network issue.