UMS will not start without using ums.bat

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
radamo

UMS will not start without using ums.bat

Post by radamo »

I have been using UMS for years. Recently it would not start at all. I uninstalled JAVA and rebooted. Then reinstalled java. Reinstalled the latest 7.0 RC1 and did a clean install. UMS seems to run better when using the ums.bat to start but will not start at all if I don't use the bat file. Any ideas why? Win 10, 64 bit, 32Gb ram.

Thanks for any suggestions.
radamo

Re: UMS will not start without using ums.bat

Post by radamo »

Uninstalled all and reverted to 6.7.3 and it appears to be working now. Why is it not recommended to set heap size higher than 1280?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

We can't figure out what wrong if you don't post log files as described in red above. If everything is fine now, I guess it's no longer needed, but for the next time. We aren't psychics.

The reason for not "recommending"/defaulting to more heap size is that it isn't normally needed, and the unique way Java allocated memory. Unlike other applications, that only use the memory they need, Java allocates all the memory given to it. UMS might only use a small part of the allocated memory, but it's still reserved and unavailable for other programs while UMS is running. Because of this, it's not a good idea to allocate too much. Anyone is free to increase or reduce it as they want though, but if you allocate to little UMS will start having out of memory errors.
radamo

Post by radamo »

Thanks for the response. I do realize without a log file posted there is not much you can do. I was mistakenly thinking others may have had the issue and it was an easy fix. Since the uninstall, clean install fixed it I guess it was...