6.7.0 won't show video files on XBox 360 * SOLVED *

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
omnius

6.7.0 won't show video files on XBox 360 * SOLVED *

Post by omnius »

I generally use my XBox 360 to stream videos, and it had been working fine up until today. I had been using 6.6.0 (Windows, not "as a service") until I was notified that a new version was out, so I upgraded to 6.7.0, and upgraded 6.7.1 when it was released. Didn't try and stream anything until this afternoon, and that's when I noticed that the 360 no longer displayed any videos, only folders. I then went through the entire folder list, and found I could see one or two video files but they had the circle-with-a-line icon (usually meaning "no") and wouldn't play. I tried several of the solutions already posted (unchecking hide extensions, doing a scan, etc) with no luck. I also made sure I have the latest codecs installed (I use K-lite, and was only a couple weeks behind). I uninstalled 6.7.1 and reinstalled 6.7.0, clean install option, but have the same issue. I'm about to uninstall again, make sure there are no UMS references in the registry, and reinstall 6.6.0 to see if I get the files displayed.
I've also checked my Samsung TV and my PS3, and they display the video files just fine. I was remiss and didn't actually try playing one, I assumed that if I could see the file and it had the thumbnail that it would play. I'll be checking that shortly as well. But it seems the 360 is the only device having the issue. In reading other messages I gather that Android phones/tablets can be streamed to, and I have one of each, but I never stream to them so haven't checked them.
I attached the trace file as described in the guidelines.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(68.56 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Nadahar

Re: 6.7.0 won't show video files on XBox 360

Post by Nadahar »

There's no registry entries to worry about with UMS, you can just uninstall one version and install another. The 360 is known to not follow the DLNA standard very well, so it's not surprising that it only fails on the 360. We've made a lot of changes between 6.6.0 and 6.7.0 - some of these have probably created some problems with the 360's non-standard behaviour. If you install 6.6.0 for now, things should work as they used to until we can figure this out.
omnius

Post by omnius »

Thanks for the quick response. I just reinstalled 6.6.0 and tested, everything works. Let me know if there's any other information you need (though testing is kind of a hassle as the computer is upstairs and the 360 is downstairs :D ).
omnius

Post by omnius »

one other purely cosmetic issue between the two - the image for my A/V receiver (Onkya TX-NR656) looks like a receiver in 6.6.0, but for some reason shows an image for a cell phone with a slideout keyboard in 6.7.0. Doesn't affect functionality in any way, just looks weird. :lol:
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I see in the log that UMS for some reason think your Onkyo is a Nokia N900, which probably explains the icon. I'm not sure why yet though.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Actually, there's one thing you could try if/when you feel for or. I've made a "temporary fix" that fixed a new issue in 6.7.0 with a LG renderer, and if we're very lucky it could be the same cause for the 360 problems.

The download is here: http://superbum.org/downloads/update.jar

You simply put this file in the same folder as "ums.jar" (the folder where UMS is installed) and start UMS normally. To get UMS back to "normal" you just quit UMS, removes or renames the file and start it again.

I'm not sure if this "update.jar" will work with 6.6.0, but you could always try. If not, you'd need to install 6.7.1 again to use it. You could install 6.6.0 and 6.7.0 to different folders so that you don't have to keep installing and uninstalling. I think the installer will overwrite the shortcut though, so that "Universal Media Server" in the start menu will point to the one you installed last. You can just browse to the installation folder and run "UMS.exe" for the version you want to run, or right-button-drag UMS.exe to the desktop or where you want it and select "Create shortcut here" to make shortcuts to both versions.

In any case, if you could find the time, it would be helpful to know if this fix solves the problem with the 360 as well.
omnius

Post by omnius »

OK, I tried it, making sure UMS wasn't running when the update.jar went into the folder. Files still wouldn't display, only folders. Left the 360 on at the main screen (backed out of system video player), came upstairs and did the log file thing, but when it tried to restart UMS it ran into some fatal error and hung so I quit it and restarted it. Made sure it was in trace and went back to the 360 to look for files, still nothing showing. Log showed the same startup error as it did before I went down, no additional info. Zipped them up anyway and they're attached. Hope you can get something useful from it.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(62.56 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Thank you. I'm wouild only like to know if you used "update.jar" on a 6.6.0 or 6.7.1 installation? I consider it unlikely to work properly on a 6.6.0 installation.
omnius

Post by omnius »

Sorry, should have mentioned - I made sure it was 6.7.1, didn't see the point of using it on a version that works :D
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, thanks. It was a shot in the blind anyway, but it was tempting to see if I might get lucky for a change :roll: