Old videos not rendering

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
t_p

Old videos not rendering

Post by t_p »

I doubt this is a bug, but I've attached the trace log anyway. Currently running Version 7.0.0-b2... Newer videos stream from my PC to my Bravia tv with no problems as they most always have, except for some occasional stuttering issues.

Recently had the desire to watch old family videos from when the kids were younger. The ones I converted from VHS tapes ages ago play fine, but we have tons of old low res/frame rate .AVI videos from an old point and shoot camera from 2004-2007 in particular that are just black on the tv with audio only. Not sure what more info you will need to possibly help... Looking at the properties, they are all 320x240 in size, and 15 fps. If my memory serves me correct, they were made from an Olympus p&s.

Would it be better to convert them all (hundreds of them) to some other format or is there something I can add or change to UMS?

Oh, and I am using the default UMS settings for a wireless connection to the tv.

Thanks
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(227.86 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Sami32

Re: Old videos not rendering

Post by Sami32 »

Please, could copy / paste the MediaInfo log of your 2004-jonathansroomjanuary1.avi file ?
As it's not recognized by UMS. With your MediaInfo log we could make it happen.

I suspect these AVI, as i think your others AVI files play fine ?, have a too low resolution and/or frame rate for your renderer support. That's said we should be able to make it play.
Before i will need that you run this command line and post this little sample of 7s here (replace the AVI link by any video of your choice).

Code: Select all

ffmpeg64.exe -y -loglevel info -i "D:\media\family vids\2007 videos\2007.10.31-aiden.avi" -t 7 -filter_complex "pad=max(iw\,ih*16/9):max(ih\,iw/16*9):(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2, setdar=4/3" -bufsize 1835k -maxrate 14000k -g 5 -q:v 1 -qmin 2 -qmax 3 -ab 640k -ar 48000 -c:a ac3 -c:v mpeg2video -f vob  umstest.vob
Thank you for your understanding.
Last edited by Sami32 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

As the resolution of your videos are too small, you should try to add this line into your renderer configuration file:

RescaleByRenderer = false
And / or

CustomFFmpegOptions = -r 25
t_p

Post by t_p »

Thanks for the replies. :D A bit daunting with my limited skills so got intimidated the first time I checked the thread, but will try to figure this out and report back.
t_p

Post by t_p »

Sami32 wrote:As the resolution of your videos are too small, you should try to add this line into your renderer configuration file:

RescaleByRenderer = false
And / or

CustomFFmpegOptions = -r 25
Will these settings mess with other normal/better quality videos?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Sorry, i guess that i should explained more :roll:

You can use that UMS version: (replace the original one by this ums.jar, into your UMS's program folder)
https://we.tl/XrmmRUlZ2V (valid for 7 days)

If that make things more easy for you, use this already modified renderer's configuration file: (with some more changes)
Sony-BraviaEX.conf
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Replace the original one by that one.

Run a new AVIs test with FFmpeg video engine and report back with your new log attached.

After having installed MediaInfo, you just need to right-click on the AVI video and select MediaInfo. From there, you can save the log and post it here, or copy / paste the informations displayed and copy it here.

If you need more explainations, do not hesitate to ask.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

When you'll have tested it, i'll give you an optimized renderer that should give you a much better quality display for your AVI family videos rendering.