A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Permission denied: listen

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
antony666

A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Permission denied: listen

Post by antony666 »

Hello everyone i am in desperate need of help a few days ago universal media player just stopped working now when i start it up in the log it says

......"A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Permission denied: listen".......

Now everything was working fine beforehand then one day bang just error MSG i haven't changed anything i had some windows updates then not long after that it stopped working it doesn't say in the update history if there was changes to permissions or anything like that i have done hours looking for info on this but there is not any info on this specific MSG I new to this site so im still familiarizing myself with everything. any help at all would be much appreciated..

I have done a fresh install and still no luck ,, I have played round with permissions n gave access to everything and still no luck run as admin and no luck checked router ports UPnP still no luck changed default ports of media server followed by another forum and still no luck i have made firewall rules for windows firewall and bull-guard firewall still no luck, Anyone would think im not having much luck......

I have done another fresh install and ran it the error is the same and have given the debug log in this post..

I use universal media server everyday without fail i have a ps4 and windows 7 ultimate 64bit now i have nothing
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(17.74 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
antony666

Re: A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Permission denied: listen

Post by antony666 »

please anyone feel free to private MSG me to
antony666

Re: A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Permission denied: listen

Post by antony666 »

Everything is back as default settings and still no luck in the debug you might see default port has changed and media server installed as windows service that is all back to default now and yeah still nothing i am still searching for info there is talk about ports coursing issues but no luck on my end
antony666

Post by antony666 »

everything as default debug log
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

We need a trace log to be able to see what's going on. Since you can't start UMS you can't do it "the usual way". If you open a command prompt/powershell and "cd" to the folder where UMS is installed (probably c:\Program Files(x86)\UMS) and run "ums.exe trace" it will start in trace mode and create a more meaningful log.

You should not be running UMS as a service when trying to diagnose a problem, make sure that the service is stopped and disabled if it is installed. You can do that by opening "services.msc", find the "Universal Media Server" service and make sure it's stopped and disabled.

When it comes to firewalls, you should disable any firewall running on the same computer as UMS while diagnosing it. Creating the correct rules can be tricky, so they should simply be disabled when diagnosing. Running more than one firewall on a computer isn't really a good idea anyway, so if you use another firewall you should disable Windows firewall completely. You should not touch the firewall in your router, it doesn't create problems for UMS.
antony666

Post by antony666 »

Sorry on the late reply thank you for your response much appreciated...

So i already did everything you said previously....

As in the UMS windows service n what not......

I just started completely default fresh install and got the same error.....

what i figured out in my situation I use bull guard internet security when i disabled the antivirus and firewall it got it back up and running so for all the people out there using bull-guard and have the same error MSG, Try turning off your antivirus and firewall restart UMS and you should be good to go I'm still figuring out whether it is just antivirus or firewall.. because i have allowed it properly through my internet security but it wont work unless there disabled

Thank you everyone who had there input very good feedback from my end to you guys.

Problem solved !!!!!

when i know if its just the antivirus coursing it or just the firewall that's coursing it i will update this post and let everyone know once again thank you so much for your response...

Regards Antony
antony666

Post by antony666 »

hi all just wanted to say i tested the firewall/antivirus so I'm using bull-guard internet security..

If i just switch of the firewall and leave my antivirus on UMS works fine as soon as the firewall is off in bull-guard Evan tho i have UMS allowed in it weird i thought.....

so i leave bull-guards anti virus on then just switch on windows firewall and it works great that way I'm still protected and can use this if anyone else is having problems with this error would be good to know what firewalls are corzing it and what not.

but then when i leave it that way as stated above then windows firewall blocks other essentials like google chrome so i just switch between the 2 when needed so ill be writing a script to turn one firewall on and one off then that way its just a click of a button to switch.....

If anyone has any advice or would like to add something that would be really good i want to get some more detailed info one this subject...

thanx guys
antony666

Post by antony666 »

OK now i'm getting a bit confused i did what you guys said with cmd starting in trace and now with the firewall on ums is working fine so the trace logs will not give off any info in errors.

i will keep trying to recreate this problem and get the logs so we can get some good info on this subject thanx guys
antony666

Post by antony666 »

still tho a temp fix was to switch off the firewall so if someone else has this problem that is the direction that really helped me to get it working straight away..