UMS stops if I use the internet at the same time

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Svend4402

UMS stops if I use the internet at the same time

Post by Svend4402 »

Hello.

I have recently moved and have gotten a new internetprovider and a therefor also a new router. :-(

I have been using both UMS and PLEX without any problems in several years. I have been able to play online games, surfe the internet, stream tv online, download movies - all while watching a movie on the tv with either UMS or PLEX... BUT NOW everything has changed. Eventhough I have a faster internet connection, the connection to UMS and PLEX is cut off just by surfing the internet at the same time.

I have UMS and PLEX on my laptop and plays the movies on my Samsung smart tv via DLNA

Please help me someone, because this shit really pisses me off. :-)

I have added a bug report

best regards

Svend
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(39.38 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Last edited by Svend4402 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: UMS stops if I use the internet at the same time

Post by Nadahar »

It's pretty evident that the problem isn't with UMS if you experience the same issue with Plex. It's probably something wrong with your network configuration.

I can say that generally, the communication between UMS and the renderer(s) can't have to go through a router. It does sound very strange if it works when you're not "using" the internet but is cut of if you "use" the internet. The only thing I can imagine that could cause that is a bad wireless connection or some strange firewall configuration.
Svend4402

Post by Svend4402 »

That is also my thought, but I hope that someone might be able to tell me, what I need to change in the router or firewall settings to make it work. :oops:
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That's very difficult for us to know, as there are so many possible ways to configure a network. We can see if there's some obvious problem, but it's very difficult to debug networks "via forum". Describe your network, how are things connected, what is wired and what is wireless, what is the IP addresses of your devices and are the IP addresses dynamic or static? Generally, servers (like UMS) should have a static/fixed IP address, but I don't think using a dynamic IP address would explain the very strange behaviour you describe.

As far as I can see, your UMS computer has address 192.168.10.13 - and your renderer has 192.168.10.15. I also see 192.168.10.11 in your log, what device is that? I'm also seeing 192.168.10.1, which I assume is your router?

Are there any other devices, in particular routers or extenders, in your network? What is the signal strength on your UMS computer, and what kind of Wifi network do you use (b/g/n/ac)?

You are running a very old version of UMS by the way.
mkxnzn

Post by mkxnzn »

[SOLVED] Whitelist the ip address of the device you are streaming to.

For instance:
If streaming to PS4. On status page it should have a number: 192.168.1.67 or similar.

Copy this number down and enter it on the configuration page where it says "Use an IP filter (whitelist)"
This tells UMS to communicate only with your PS4 or whatever device you're using so Internet Apps cant interfere.

I haven't practiced steaming TO multiple devices yet but im pretty sure i saw the information somewhere on goole/github.

GLHF!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Your "solution" doesn't sound relevant. Have you had this problem and applied this, or are you simply guessing?
mkxnzn

Post by mkxnzn »

It works. Close thread.