Movie Cover Art

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jmcease

Movie Cover Art

Post by jmcease »

Hello, first this is a great application. I moved from Mezzmo as I was sick of the bugs. I am having difficulty trying to figure out how to add cover art to my movies in my Library. I installed the Movie Info plugin, but that does not seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nadahar

Re: Movie Cover Art

Post by Nadahar »

UMS generates thumbnails automatically if no cover art is found, which is what most users use. If you want to have the actual cover, you can place a file in the same folder as the movie with the exact same name but with ".cover.jpg" or ".cover.png" added, and it should be used as the thumbnail.

If the file is named "movie.mkv" then the conver file should be named "movie.mkv.cover.jpg" or ""movie.mkv.cover.png".

MovieInfo hasn't been updated for a long time as far as I know, and you should probably just remove/delete it to avoid issues.
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

My wife was just talking about this yesterday how it would be nice to see a logo like Kodi does. That really is great info mate, Iv'e been wondering how to do it for years. Thanks. :P I vote to send that tidbit straight to the wiki or help files for sure.

Now for the next problem. I have over 1,000 movies so likewise I have 1,000+ "folder.jpg" files sitting in individual folders next to the movie,like you do for audio albums. How to script or somehow automate a way to copy each "folder.jpg" file, rename it to the corresponding "movie.mkv.cover.jpg" and paste it back again.

I suppose if I sat down and tried to remember my commands I could write a batch file but I'm old and the brain is alcohol soaked so any help would be V much appreciated.

Oz
I
jmcease

Post by jmcease »

I used MetaX application to write to the files so I would not have to place files for the whole library. The thing is that MetaX will not work with AVI files so you could convert them or download art for those files. I chose to download cover art for those files and pointed to a cover art directory using the Alternate video cover art folder in the application.
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

That actually might straighten out another one of my annoyances there mate. Have you noticed how some of the movies you get from the Russian sites can have really fucked up metadata embedded in the mkv's. Like totally wrong titles and stuff. It don't matter with the PS3 but it will screw Kodi up big time with blank titles and crap like that.

I'm gonna give it a try. TY :D

Oz
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

I just noticed that I can see a thumbnail on my PS3 which is loaded from a picture in the movie folder that is simply named moviename.jpg.

That's good enough for me. It was there and working all along, I just don't use the PS3 that often I suppose.

Oz
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are multiple ways UMS will "pick up" a cover, I just described the one I thought was easiest and most consistent.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Some renderers support "folder.jpg" (This will give the folder a thumb, but also every file inside it)
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Nadahar wrote:There are multiple ways UMS will "pick up" a cover, I just described the one I thought was easiest and most consistent.
Righto, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up mate. "easiest and most consistent" is a bloody good page to be on I reckon.

squadjot wrote:Some renderers support "folder.jpg" (This will give the folder a thumb, but also every file inside it)
Yeah I noticed that too. I mostly use a PS3 which only shows the media file with a thumbnail.

Oh!
Thanks for the update to 6.7.2 BTW. Just gets better and better. We just need a prettier interface on the ole PS3.

Oz
mccink

Post by mccink »

the app bulk rename has been a real helpful app in this regard, u can batch rename in regex mode as well, & u can select just .png, or .jpg files to make the matter simpler