How to force a rescan of configured folders

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
wumpus

How to force a rescan of configured folders

Post by wumpus »

Is there a way to force a rescan of the configured folders without restarting UMS?

* I had mistakenly left some (UMS unsupported) files in a music folder. I removed the files (.log files) but browsing UMS via PS3 still shows the unsupported files... days later.
* I had created a new sub-folder several layers below a configured folder. I have to restart UMS to get the new folder to show up (I only waited 10mins or so).
* I had removed a music file from a folder but UMS still shows it.

Restarting UMS seems to force a rescan.

My Env:
Windows 10 Pro 1703, 15063.413
Java 8 Update 131 (32 & 64)
UMS 6.7.1
Nadahar

Re: How to force a rescan of configured folders

Post by Nadahar »

In UMS 6.x.x I don't think there's anything you can do to remove entries. You can do a manual scan (by clicking the "scan" button), but it will only scan the folders again and update/add items.

This has been reworked in 7.x.x and given that it works as intended you shouldn't have to do anything other than moving or deleting the files for UMS to register it. 7.0.0 isn't quite ready for release yet, but it probably won't be too long.

The interesting part is why ".log" files show up at all. There's a pre-defined list of extension for media files UMS use when scanning folders, so I don't understand why ".log" files have registered in the first place.

Restarting UMS doesn't force a rescan, but it starts with an empty in-memory media structure, which is where these "orphans" live. Items are then discovered as you browse them.
wumpus

Post by wumpus »

Thank you for clearing that up. If I can put in a vote for a Rescan button or something in 7.x, that'd be cool :)

BTW, UMS is a great system.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There already are a scan button there, but there is no way to remove already existing items in 6.x.x. By "rescan" do you mean remove all media and add them again? That button is there as well, but it's called "Quit" :P
wumpus

Post by wumpus »

Ah! Works for me.

Thanks. :)