Not connecting to all renderers

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Galana

Not connecting to all renderers

Post by Galana »

Yesterday, all was fine - it picked up my TV, NAS and PS3 without delay or concern.

Today, not so much. It will find the TV, but not the NAS or PS3 (PS3 is what I care about here, as the TV is an old model Smart with no media server capabilities).

All three devices are on the same hub/switch, so it's not a problem with that device.
The PS3 can talk to the NAS, so it's not a problem inside the networking of either of those.

Rebooted all devices, and no changes. Java just updated yesterday (and made me reselect my allowed network - but again, it sees the tv, so that shouldn't be the issue?)

Any ideas? Is there a way to force it to find an ip address?
v6.7.2 / July09'17
Nadahar

Re: Not connecting to all renderers

Post by Nadahar »

There is no way to "force" it to find a given address, discovery dependes on multicast (as per the UPnP standard). You give very little information, including platform. Since they're all on a wired network on the same subnet (I assume you're not running VLAN on your switch), some kind of local Firewall issues seems the most likely. If you're on Windows, maybe there has been some complications with the Windows firewall rules during Java upgrade. In any case, try disabling the local firewall to see if that's the problem.

If that's not it, please provide debug files as explained in red above.
Galana

Post by Galana »

Uninstalled Java, and let UMS re-install it. It defaults to Public Networks allowed, which seems pretty stupid, but since I clicked that off last time, leaving it enabled here... And it's working so far. Not sure if it was a bad Java install (which still wouldn't explain how I could see the tv, but not the PS3 or NAS), or PS3 needs the Public Network on (which it hasn't in the past, because I always had it disabled before) - or we just chalk this up to 'because, stuff and things', and I'll be back next week when it fails again.

As for the log, it wasn't even putting a call out to the IPs of the two devices, so I didn't think it would be an asset to add. I will include it next time (which hopefully there isn't!) for completeness.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I didn't understand anything about the "public networks allowed", but if it works I guess that doesn't matter. Since you say that UMS installs Java, I assume you're on Windows. I also assume "Public Networks allowed" is some kind of Java/Windows firewall installation wizard. The UMS installer simply installs a standard Oracle Java, so my guess is you could have solved it by reinstalling any Java version manually since it would trigger the Wizard.

When it comes to the firewall settings, renderers needs to be allowed to contact UMS on the configured port (TCP) and a couple of others (UDP & TCP). The renderer can be anything, so it needs to be "any". You can modify the rules of the Windows firewall at any time, there's no need to reinstall Java to do that, but it probably requires you to understand a bit more about IP addresses and ports than clicking "yes or no" on a wizard.

When it comes to the log, it contains information that tells us the OS, Java version, network configuration and more that is useful what trying to come up with possible solutions. It can also contain errors that can have side-effects, like the network not working properly - thus it is useful even if the IPs in question isn't there.
Galana

Post by Galana »

Here you go - replicated in less than 2 days. Working fine a few hours ago - I set up a queue transcode overnight - gets 5 files in (of 66), and crashes out. Now it won't find the PS3 again. Tracelog attached. It sees the TV (.65) and computer (.64), but not the PS3 (.70) nor NAS (.72) - however the PS3, NAS & PC can all see each other, so it's definitely not a network issue.

Enjoy!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(30.53 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The log file only lasts 62 seconds, and there's not much of interest there. The only strange thing I notice is that it can't read permissions for H: - what filesystem do you use on H? If it's FAT32 it's understandable at is doesn't support permissions (and is notoriously bad a keeping file consistency).

If you want to capture a problem, you have to let UMS run in "trace mode" while you do the testing.