Files don't finish playing and often crash my TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Novae

Files don't finish playing and often crash my TV

Post by Novae »

This problem has been happening increasingly often over the past several months, but it's getting to the point that nearly all of my new media is behaving this way.

I'll play a file on my TV, the file gets within about 1-3 minutes of the end and freezes for a few moments then the TV turns itself all the way off and restarts. I've kept UMS updated regularly (and even tried the experimental versions). It's been an...embarrassing amount of time since I've done troubleshooting on things like this and I've forgotten a ton of stuff. I just don't have the time I used to. For now, I can say that I think I've followed your instructions and attached the right file.

What other information can I provide? I'm not sure what all is in that file I attached.

Thanks in advance!
ums_dbg.zip
(127.92 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Novae

Re: Files don't finish playing and often crash my TV

Post by Novae »

The files are .mkv but if I understand correctly that's pretty vague. Should I try to find out something more about them?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Superstore.S02E01.Strike.720p.WEB.x264-[MULVAcoded].mp4
Well, the only one found into your log is not what i call MKV...

So, if i understood your words correctly, you only have this kind of issue with some video files.

I think that i've a pretty fair idea of why you get it, but please, make sure which files have issue and check at their format.
You can also put them in a folder and play them before posting a new log with the problematic videos files.
Novae

Post by Novae »

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you - we were on vacation :)

I'll pick a few sample files of different types that aren't working, try to play them while keeping a log then post it here.
Novae

Post by Novae »

Didn't mean to mix up the .mkv and .mp4 things earlier. I have no idea why I did that.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you can and can't tell from the logs I post here, so if you need more details about what's going on please let me know. So far, the .mp4 files crash a minute or two before the end and sometimes crash my TV. Some .mkv files play just fine and some won't play at all (I get an error message about a missing codec). All of these files play just fine on my computer and even on my Android devices.

ums_dbg2.zip
(308.21 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

I still didn't looked at your log, but did you put some of your MP4s or MKVs files that have similar issue into a same folder and play them all before create the log ?
Because, as i said, one file could be not suffisant...
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

There are a lot of errors in your log which should not be there. Please try to install the latest Java version and make clean UMS instalation.
Novae

Post by Novae »

Sami32 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 am I still didn't looked at your log, but did you put some of your MP4s or MKVs files that have similar issue into a same folder and play them all before create the log ?
Because, as i said, one file could be not suffisant...
I didn't put them in an individual folder, but I did play four different files. I should have specified that...my mistake.
Edit: I tried to play two .mp4 files (they wouldn't play) and two .mkv files that crashed (I was also unable to use things like fast-forward or rewind with those files).
valib wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 pm There are a lot of errors in your log which should not be there. Please try to install the latest Java version and make clean UMS instalation.
I'll update Java and do a clean install. I'll make another log after that, though I'd still appreciate some input on the log I most recently posted. Thanks!
Novae

Post by Novae »

OK, I've updated Java and I've done a clean install of the most recent version of UMS (6.7.3).

The problems have continued with no change that I've noticed. I played several files. The .mkv files still don't play at all (I skipped instead of stopping for a few files, just because). The .mp4 files continue to play until nearly the end of the episode, then they crash. I still can't fast-forward or rewind on some...others do those things just fine. If you need more information I'll be happy to provide it.

Sami32 - you said you think you know what's going on. Is it something that I can fix?

valib - Now that I've updated Java and done a clean install, are there still weird errors? What kind of additional information do you need?

Thanks again for your help :)

ums_dbg3.zip
(406.75 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Edit: Put the download link in there twice...deleted one.