[Resolved]UMS and windows firewall control (WFC)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cnrhus

[Resolved]UMS and windows firewall control (WFC)

Post by cnrhus »

Hello, I'm having a bit of trouble letting UMS through my firewall. When I turn the program to no filtering (no firewall) the UMS works like a charm! However when i turn low filtering (outgoing connections that do not match a rule are allowed) or higher, the ps4 cannot connect.
I have tried enabling ALL my blocked rules and still UMS cannot connect to the PS3. I have also tried enabling all disabled rules (they were on allow but disabled) and STILL UMS cannot connect. So I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

its worth noting that WFC doesn't recognize .jar files as files that can connect to the internet. When I allow UMS through the firewall it allows java, not UMS.jar.
geaves

Re: UMS and windows firewall control (WFC)

Post by geaves »

TBH I'm trying to understand what you are trying to achieve, on an internal network....your home network the firewall should not come into play as all your connected hardware is trusted as it's internal. The firewall would not block a connection to your ps3 on the internal network, the firewall blocks incoming connections from the internet, if you can expand I might a get an understanding of what you are trying to achieve. :?
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

Thanks for taking the time. The PS3 is connecting via wireless, so I suppose it counts as an external entity? WFC will certainly block UMS if left on at any rate. WFC will also protect against OUTgoing connections just as much as INgoing connections, so it may be that WFC is blocking UMS, not that it is blocking the PS3.
geaves

Post by geaves »

cnrhus wrote:Thanks for taking the time. The PS3 is connecting via wireless, so I suppose it counts as an external entity? WFC will certainly block UMS if left on at any rate. WFC will also protect against OUTgoing connections just as much as INgoing connections, so it may be that WFC is blocking UMS, not that it is blocking the PS3.
Does not not matter if the PS3 is wireless or wired it's on your internal network.....Ok what's your O/S (operating system) lets see if we can set up the firewall to allow UMS through.....also do you have file and print sharing set to allow?
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

Yes Its allowed, I'm running windows. UMS runs fine without my firewall controller program being active. However as it currently stands I believe the program is blocking UMS from communicating even though I can't find the rule that says to do so.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

I checked my own WFC setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port, so if you're using a different port number you have to use that value

I have not include the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup. Hope this helps... ;)
geaves

Post by geaves »

cnrhus wrote:Yes Its allowed, I'm running windows. UMS runs fine without my firewall controller program being active. However as it currently stands I believe the program is blocking UMS from communicating even though I can't find the rule that says to do so.
Following on from Speedy.....what windows version? and what firewall?
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

Apologies, the OS is WIndows 7 and the firewall is WFC, as per the title, Which can be found here. http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
Its basically an extension of windows own firewall rather than a separate program. Thanks again for the help.
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

SpeedyQ wrote:I checked my own WFC setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port, so if you're using a different port number you have to use that value

I have not include the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup. Hope this helps... ;)
Oh thanks you SpeedyQ, I will check this and see if it works and report back. Thanks again.
*Edit- thanks SpeedyQ, that seemed to work, I made sure all 3 (as I am not running it as a service) were open and now it works even with the firewall up. Thank you again for your time!
Last edited by cnrhus on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

cnrhus wrote:Apologies, the OS is WIndows 7 and the firewall is WFC, as per the title, Which can be found here. http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
Its basically an extension of windows own firewall rather than a separate program. Thanks again for the help.
I'm not familiar with the WFC software, but the rules that I have mentioned in my previous post should be recognizable in it, so please check...

Ah, I see you solved it. Good, good... :D