PS4 transcoding problems

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Sami32

Re: PS4 transcoding problems

Post by Sami32 »

@mik_s Do you get the same issue while using TranscodeVideo = MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3 ?

or while using SeekByTime = false and MPEGTS-H264-AC3 ?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

not sure if i have already tried them but will give them another go. i remember trying the default mpeg2 setting and the example ones in the default config and the one in the ps3 config file with no success. the only one that was usable (with current issues) was the one already in the ps4 config which is strange as the ps4 can play mpeg 2 streaming but it wouldn't accept it if it is transcoded to mpeg2. has anyone else had problems with the ps4? or is just mine behaving strange maybe because it is not online?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

In the mean time you could try that build with a clean install:
https://we.tl/l2LdTWe4nZ

And if that doesn't work, try the following:

Code: Select all

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3
or

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3
ChunkedTransfer = true
or

TranscodeVideo = MKV-H264-AAC
ChunkedTransfer = true
or

TranscodeVideo = MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3
ChunkedTransfer = true
And lets hope something good will happen ;)
Last edited by Sami32 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

ok tried TranscodeVideo = MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3 and UMS just did the start playing - stop playing - start playing - stop playing thing for about a minute then PS4 Says cannot play file.
with SeekByTime = false and MPEGTS-H264-AC3 is the same but will play, just the same as the default config for ps4

i'll try this new build and options and hope something good will happen.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Ok. Please, if it doesn't work, don't forget to post at least 1 full trace log. Thanks. ;)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

ok with clean install no luck. (1st log)
with TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AAC - with or without ChunkedTransfer i get the start stop start issue then plays but on this build seeking don't seem to work. if i try to FF the file restarts from the beginning. (2nd log - i let the file play for about 20 secs before skipping ahead)

with TranscodeVideo = MKV-H264-AAC or MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3 i get the start stop cannot play problem as before.

there are a few things i will try if i get time to do to eliminate network problems like changing router, computer, and if i can i will see if i can use my nephews ps4 at my parents and see if it is the same on there but may be a while till i can visit.
Attachments
ums_dbg - 1st test.zip
(40.6 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
ums_dbg - 2nd test.zip
(45.91 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Ok :( The problem that don't help is that i cannot find DLNA certification for the PS4 and as it doesn't throws SinkProtocolInfo, we are on the dark...

You can also try other media servers as Mezzmo, Serviio, Emby, JRiver, Plex, Twonky, TVersity...and with some luck one will work for you but as you already saw on others forums, PS4 is giving some issues.
Thank you for all your tests and feedback.

Any new PS4 discovery is welcome ;)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

i've tried a few things to eliminate any network problems, the only constant being the ps4 and nothing changed. i made logs of the tests just in case but probably won't help.
first i tried a different router, all connections over wifi. then tried same setup from my 10+ year old laptop and even tried going back to version 5 of UMS but all had same result.

one thing i noticed in the logs was -

[HTTPv2 Request Worker 7] net.pms.network.RequestV2 Sending 9223372034707292159 bytes.
just before the 1st [StopPlaying Event], and i don't see this when playing on another renderer. could this be tripping up the PS4 into closing and reopening the connection causing the start stop start problem? i am probably wrong but this number looks like two max value positive 32bit numbers sent as a 64bit number.
however looking at the logs posted by Henduluin for PS4Pro his dosn't have a problem with this so maybe it's down to differences in hardware.

I have tried Tversity in the past but was a pain to set up and not reliable and once i found PMS before evolving into UMS i have stuck with it.
Wanted to try Plex but it requires an internet connection.

Oh well, looks like i will have to live with it for now. its annoying but watchable. Thanks for all your help.
Attachments
ums_v5.0.0.zip
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
ums_Wifi only, different router.zip
(74.17 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
ums_wifi,lappy,new router.zip
(70.48 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/a ... .MAX_VALUE

2^63-1
That is what UMS code use as default, and that i always suspected to be part of some issues, but without having a PS4 for testing or at least more specifications...

Thank you for your help 8-)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

just an update with the issues i have been having.

I took my PS4 to my parents house to get it online and get all the updates i have missed and to try out UMS to see it worked any different on another network.
I installed it on my dads laptop which required it to install avisynth (i think thats what i t was called) and download java 7. after it was set up it appeared on my PS4 and worked straight away. no issues with transcoding, just a couple of seconds to warm up then started to play. so first thing i thought was it must be an issue with my installation of java or avisynth otherwise the installs were the same so made logs to compare and see what is different.
However when i got home and set everything up to do some testing it just worked straight away, no more issues transcoding :D

so the problem was with the PS4 media player not with UMS which was solved once i got it online and it updated to version 3.50

now that this problem has been solved and the addition of selectable audio tracks and subs in PS4 Mediaplayer i have a few suggestions but will make a new thread in the appropriate place.

thanks for all the help trying to solve the issue. :P