Folder Images No Longer After Upgrade

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
TitanUp01

Folder Images No Longer After Upgrade

Post by TitanUp01 »

I typically render to our PlayStation 3. I recently upgraded to 6.7.3. Since then, the folder.jpg (or .png) does not work.

Let me say that it absolutely worked fine, for years, prior to this upgrade.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
TitanUp01

Re: Folder Images No Longer After Upgrade

Post by TitanUp01 »

Just an update.

I completely uninstalled UMS.

I then installed the older 6.3.2 version - folder images are WORKING again! Hurray!

Something amiss with the new build I guess.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Can you define "does not work"? What happens instead?
DreamScar

Post by DreamScar »

Registered just to say that I am also having this problem with my PS4 after upgrading to 7rc from 7b. For some reason 7rc will not recognize folder.jpg files. Instead all affected files show the default 4 second still. I just tried clean installing 7b again (folder.jpg works again) and then clean installing 7rc (folder.jpg stops working).
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Dreamscar: Please install the latest stable version, 6.7.4 and report back if it works.
DreamScar

Post by DreamScar »

Just clean installed 6.7.4 and folder.jpg doesn't work.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I think we need a definition of "not working". It's working for me when I test it. If would be nice if you could make an example folder with some dummy (small) media file and folder.jpg, confirm that the thumbnail wasn't shown as expected using UMS and then zip the whole folder and attach it here. That way we can unpack the folder and make sure we're talking about the same thing, and I can test it and see if I get the same result.
DreamScar

Post by DreamScar »

By "not working" I mean that the folder.jpg isn't being used for the thumbnails for the files in that folder. Instead the default (4 secs in) thumbnail displays. UMS up to 7b2 worked as expected. I will upload a zip when I get home.
DreamScar

Post by DreamScar »

Sorry this took so long, its been a busy week. I didn't have any small video files, so I used an audio file.
Attachments
Boston.rar
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 329 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I've tested your folder, and it works for me. I have to turn off "download from Cover Art Archive" to see it though. I'm starting to suspect that the issue isn't that folder images aren't working, but that they have gotten a lower priority than before.

That is correct and intentional, as that has been considered a long standing bug with UMS - that folder images would override individual media thumbnails. The logic now is that if the individual media file has its own thumbnail, that will take priority over the folder thumbnail. The folder thumbnail is used for the folder itself though.

If you want to see the folder images, you thus need to turn off downloading or generation of thumbnails. Items with embedded thumbnails will show these regardless.

I don't think there's any way to make everybody happy with this, as some people want one behaviour and others want another. I've long advocated that there should be a configurable "thumbnail source priority list" so that users can choose what sources should have what priority, but this is a bigger project and nobody has done it yet.

Can you confirm that it works on your sample of you disable cover downloads?