ums not running anymore

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jobboy

ums not running anymore

Post by jobboy »

come back from holidays and installed latest version 6.7.3, coming from 6.7.2. After installing i selected run program and nothing happened!. I retried several times and nothing happened at all, i also tried 7.0.0. same problem.
If i manually start from "universal media server select menu" icon i get a language screen selection, then a UMS loading screen that never ends :(
I have windows 10 64bit, java 8 . 144 (latest)
any suggestion?
Nadahar

Re: ums not running anymore

Post by Nadahar »

Navigate to "C:\Program Data\UMS" and find the file "debug.log". Attach the file in this thread.
RustyKaos

Post by RustyKaos »

I'm having the same issue. Here's my debug attached as well.
Attachments
debug.log
(3 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It isn't necessary the same issue even though the symptoms are the same. The problem in your case RustyKaos is that UMS' database is already in use. That almost always mean that you already have one instance of UMS running. If you have installed UMS as a service, open services.msc and stop the service before starting UMS. Once the GUI has started, uninstall the service. You can't use UMS as a service and as an application at the same time.
jobboy

Post by jobboy »

Nadahar wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 pm Navigate to "C:\Program Data\UMS" and find the file "debug.log". Attach the file in this thread.
sorry no debug log file found inside UMS folder (tried to search inside all sub folders), indeed if i install and run the application nothing happen. Installation process was successful though.
Same things happen if i try 7.0
thanks
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That's very strange - the only way I can think of that could make this happen is if UMS doens't have write permission to that folder. Could you try running UMS as administrator and see if a logfile is generated then?
jobboy

Post by jobboy »

damn....still a no go :(
the only strange way i found to make it running is from the start menu, i select " universal media server (select profile)" then a select profile menu pop ups looking for a conf file (that does not exist in the first istance), select any subfolder inside the ums folder (usually plugins, just a coincidence), and then wizard configuration menu starts. Anytime i need to start this program i have to follow this pattern (except for the wizard part).
Now a debug.log file is available (it was generated inside the plugins folder)
debug.log
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
any help is appreciated :)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That log was generated using 6.7.2 by the way. Everything looks normal as far as I can see in the attached log file.

The "select profile" dialog is there because it is possible to have different "profiles" of UMS where all the settings (including shared folders etc) are independent. You don't have to select a configuration file, you can also select a folder where you want UMS to create a new "profile". That's why the wizard is shown each time you select a new folder, new settings are being created from scratch.

Most users don't use different "profiles" and use the default, which is what UMS assumes you want when you start it without a "profile=" argument (from the command line or the shortcut's command line parameters). The default profile folder is different for the different platforms; for Windows it is "%allusersprofile%\UMS". That usually translates to "C:\ProgramData\UMS", but that's ultimately up to your Windows settings. Press Win + R and paste

Code: Select all

%allusersprofile%\UMS
..and click "OK". That will open the correct folder if it exists. This folder is created and given write permissions by the UMS installer if it doesn't exist. There has to be something wrong with this folder. I'm pretty sure there are some permission problems with the folder.

I see two possible ways to fix those permissions. Either fix the permissions manually (right click folder -> properties -> security and make sure that the user running UMS has write permission), or delete/rename the folder and reinstall UMS so that the installer can recreate the folder. If you're running any of the "home" versions of Windows, you're out of luck for an easy fix. Microsoft has determined that home users don't need to manage their permissions, so setting file and folder permissions aren't available. To change them, you have to reboot to "safe mode" and do it, and then reboot back to "normal mode". It's extremely stupid... If you have a "pro" or better version, you will have permissions available under the "security" tab. The user running UMS is usually the user you use when you log in.