[Solved] UMS Sees TV, but TV doesn't see UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Tepoo

[Solved] UMS Sees TV, but TV doesn't see UMS

Post by Tepoo »

Hello Everyone,

i am quit long already a user of UMS (about 5+Years i think)

Some days ago i hade to switch to Windows10 because my CPU is not supporting Windows 7.

Till this switch everything worked fine. but now i have the problem that My TV does not find my UMS anymore.
I noticed that UMS is seeing the TV, and over the advanced menu, i can even start videos on the TV to watch it.

Does someone probably know what is causing this problem?

Infos:
PC:
CPU: Intel i9 7900X
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB OC
MB: Gigabyte X299

UMS: 6.7.3

Kind regards
Tepoo
Nadahar

Re: UMS Sees TV, but TV doesn't see UMS

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds like a firewall issue. Try turning off Windows firewall and see if that solves it. If it does, you have to review your firewall rules.

If any futher help is needed, please post debug files by following the text in red above.
Tepoo

Post by Tepoo »

hey,

so thanks for your reply, i tried it by disablng my firewall (Norton), nothing changes.

then i tried the Problem link and switch to this logging trace state.
but funny tho, while this is running, UMS does not find my TV. when i then restart in normal mode, the TV is back available.

Any ideas?

here is the zip file
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(33.34 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That sounds very strange. What about Windows firewall? Is that completely disabled? Windows 10 has a tendency to turn it on "for you".

Nice hardware btw. - too bad Intel pulled that crap deal with Microsoft trying to force people to upgrade. I won't go anywhere near Windows 10.

I can't see anything obvious in your log, but there is one strange thing. I see UPnP announcements that is normally sent from routers being sent from your computer (192.168.0.32). I don't quite understand how that can be, so I'm guessing there's something strange with your network configuration. How is your network configured, are you on the same local network as your renderer, or is it a router between the UMS computer and the TV? Are you running some router software on your computer?

Norton is known to do a lot of strange things, did you also use Norton when running Windows 7? Has anything else changed with regards to network setup when the computer was rebuilt?
Tepoo

Post by Tepoo »

Hello,

EDIT:
it works now,

after i noticed that every other device is recognizing my tv, i was crawling the last hour through every option the tv offers.

one of them is a menu where the tv shows all found servers and if they should be shown on the main menu.
and guess what? because the UMS is not the same as the old one, the TV was setting the new UMS to invisible.......

It works now :)
Problem solved.

Kind regards
Tepoo
Tvspree

Post by Tvspree »

Hi all, thanks for the useful info's . I had a similar problem with a Samsung Smart Tv EU5300 that all of a sudden could not see the UMS ( version 9.5 ) anymore. This while the PC could still see it.

After spending two days on it I found a solution by changing the UMS General Settings "Force networking interface" to "Realteck USB Gbe Controller...". My guess is that older Tv models can only check for the UMS in their own subnet IP for example 192.168.100.xx class and in my case by default the IP was a different one 192.168.137.xx . When setting "Force networking interface" to "Realteck USB Gbe Controller..." the server IP changed to a 192.168.100.xx internal IP and the TV could "see" it.

Hope this helps anyone else that has a similar issue, searching for a solution was not fun at all.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This isn't limited to "older" TVs, it's a feature of TCP/IP, unicast and multicast and UPnP itself.

TCP/IP must know a route to the destination address to be able to contact it. Addresses on the local subnet (the same subnet as the address assigned to the network interface belongs to) can be contacted directly without routing. All other addresses needs a route, either a default route ("all unknown") or a specific route. It there's no route that leads to the target subnet, it cannot be contacted, so even unicast can't "jump" subnets without a route.

Add to this that UPnP relies on multicast for discovery, and that multicast is a much more "rare and difficult beast" to route than unicast, which most cheap/home routers don't even try routing, UPnP is effectively limited to the local subnet even if you did make a route to the destination subnet.

A very common mistake people make is that they try to put UMS and their renderers on different subnets, often because they use different subnets on their wired and wireless networks, which is routed for unicast, but not so much for multicast. So, you must make sure they are on the same subnet even if you TV isn't made yet ;)
fatjoez

Post by fatjoez »

Tvspree wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:23 pm I found a solution by changing the UMS General Settings "Force networking interface" to "Realteck USB Gbe Controller...".
When setting "Force networking interface" to "Realteck USB Gbe Controller..." the server IP changed to a 192.168.100.xx internal IP and the TV could "see" it.
Hope this helps anyone else that has a similar issue, searching for a solution was not fun at all.
Thanks. 4 years later your solution worked for me also.
I set Universal Media Server to force networking on my WIFI adaptor.
It was using another network adaptor which was putting it on the wrong ip/network.
piersb

Re: [Solved] UMS Sees TV, but TV doesn't see UMS

Post by piersb »

Thanks for the solution here too - Force Networking allowed me to reconnect my Mac Desktop to my PS4 when I couldn't connect it to UMS or any other media server.

(For anyone else - I just kept choosing a different option on the Force Networking dropdown until I found one that worked.)