Looking for assistance with Fast Forward issues.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
benand1985

Looking for assistance with Fast Forward issues.

Post by benand1985 »

Hello,

I just converted from PMS to UMS last night and finished re-writing scrips and tweaking things at 1:30AM. I am still running into some issues however as I had problems with the /root share showing which I had to comment out a line in the /root/.config file and then I also had to tweak my PS3 config file and UMS.sh file. But anyways after getting most of my transcoding settings figured out "I think". I am running into issues with anything over 10x fast forward on MP4 files with 5.1 audio.

Also, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these models of Sony BD players for the UPNP compliant models and if any issues were encountered;
BDP-S5100
BDP-S3100
BDP-S1100
BDP-S790
BDP-S590

I am doing a large scale deployment and I wanted to get most of the issues (aka.... my own stupidity) resolved before I go into getting a 6+ BD player UPNP/DLNA network up and running. Please let me know if there are any good fixes or adjustments I should make as I am at a loss for what to fix additionally.

I would like to attach debug from my CentOS system but I am getting kickback from the forums. Also, as this is a streaming service, please let me know if you would like me to take a packet capture from the system as well using tcpdump and wireshark. I can provide filtering or packet analysis support to aid in isolating this fast forward issue.

For the download of the config files, please feel free to download them from my personal Website located here as I just put up the link today;
http://www.lmse.net/images/NEWS/UMS_Config.zip

One thing to note is that I encountered this issue on both PlayStation Media Server and now also on Universal Media Server as well. I also mentioned it to one of my colleagues at work and he stated that he ran into the issue as well when he was testing PlayStation Media Server back in the day as well but he did not report the issue. The strange thing is that the video does keep progressing forward but in small slow choppy increments which is why I found that the "Jump To" works better to work around the issue but I am still curious as to the source of the problem.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Trace Debug After Fast Forward Occurs Seems to be a Java Null Pointer Exception in the logs.
(87.46 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
salsolo

Re: Looking for assistance with Fast Forward issues.

Post by salsolo »

I have the BDP-S5100 and for the most part it works with UMS. I do have some problems with not automatically transcoding correctly but it works when I select the right one manually. I haven''t spent any time in trying to get it to work better as it s just my secondary in the bedroom and mostly used for Netflix :)
I also have a problem not able to rewind or fast forward anything but mpeg.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it works but expect some major tweaking to get it performing great.
benand1985

Re: Looking for assistance with Fast Forward issues.

Post by benand1985 »

Hello Salsolo,

Thanks for the heads up on the S5100, I will have to experiment more with these devices and tinker to see if I can get them working smoothly as well. I did notice that Sony seems to be releasing some updates which can intermittently cause issues with their BlueRay players and the UPNP/DLNA connection. As I have not had a chance to work with it and it sounds like you do have it working for the most part, I will have to see what I can uncover with them.

I did run a fully un-buffered TCPDUMP on all interfaces for all sources on my CentOS box last nigh just to look at some of the behavior of the traffic handling between the UMS and the PS3. Per my understanding, the traffic looks interesting with how it operates.

Things I was able to see;
- After a 3 way TCP handshake, the PS3 does a "GET" request for the movie title from the UMS system. After it receives the information for the title along with the content needed to display the listing on the screen, the connection is reset and it appears to do this for every title listing as you browse down the list. This does not seem very efficient as a new TCP handshake has to be performed with every title listing which can create overhead instead of doing this in the same stream. I am not sure if this is by default how the UPNP/DLNA operates or if this is the PS3 acting this way but it seems that this is not very streamlined.
- Additionally, after the occurrence of the Java error from the UMS system around the time when the fast forward was occurring at 10x on the PS3 I could see that in the capture the Window Sizing could have changed from the UMS system and the PS3 then started to FIN and reset the connection. Yet to make things more interesting, the connection over the port the stream was coming through on was terminated but the PS3 and UMS system did another handshake shortly after to start the stream back up again. So essintally, it just looked like the fast forward was taking forever to seek to the next location in the stream but it was still progressing.

Anyways, I am not an expert and I really do not know how UPNP/DLNA works but I just thought the behavior was a little interesting as It seems different from how HTTP traffic usually looks.