Unable to show subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Mr.X

Re: Unable to show subtitles

Post by Mr.X »

here it is
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(30.69 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I see several problems here. It doesn't look like UMS is properly installed (did you run the installer?) as it can't find FFmpeg and MEncoder which is supposed to be put there by the installer. That will break transcoding. This wasn't a problem in your earlier log files, so something must have changed. I think you should run the UMS installer again to make sure all files are in place.

Your network seems to be working just fine though, UMS is communicating with the LG TV.

I also see a Chromecast on your network in the latest log. That might be what makes the TV fail to "see" UMS. Our Chromecast implementation is terribly broken (made by a previous developer) but since none of the current develpers have a Chromecast we can't fix it. I've recommended for some time that we simply disable the Chromecast support until it's fixed, but that hasn't been done. To disable it, add the line

Code: Select all

chromecast_extension = false
to your UMS.conf (normally found in C:\ProgramData\UMS). You should reinstall UMS first though, and then edit the configuration file. Start UMS after disabling Chromecast in the configuration.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

I have deleted everything and did a clean insdtall.. still the same problem :-(
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(28.72 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hello Mr.X,

I suspect that you was referring to AntMan.avi video playing fine with SRT subtitle ?

You can try to use this renderer, forcing it if necessary as @Nadahar have already explained to you:
LG-LA1630.conf
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
(Later you could need to fine tune it following your manual informations concerning this model restricted to some countries only)

Go in the "Transcoding Settings" tab and then select the FFmpeg video engine. From there, select "Use font setting...".
And then select the "Common Transcode Settings" section and select on the "Subtitles settings" sub tab. Select "Specify TrueTypefont" and choose your preferred font.
Restart and it should be fine, i mean the subtitles display ;)

Don't forget to configure your audio and subtitle preferences correctly:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -Subtitles

I suspect that your feedback could not be an option, isn't ?

EDIT: As i never listen about your renderer, i only know about LA6130 model, in the case it doesn't support natively SRT susbtitles, just edit this renderer's configuration and comment (#) these lines at the end of the file as following:

Code: Select all

#SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
#SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
Last edited by Sami32 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

What do you mean "same problem"? The errors certainly aren't the same.

You didn't disable chromecast as I told you, except for that I don't see any errors now. UMS is communicating with the TV, so if the TV still won't show UMS I'd try to turn the TV off and on again.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

thank you for the renderer, i have put it in the folder,
i copy/paste the line you told me in UMS.conf turned the TV on and of.. still i dont see the server on the TV...
i don't understant why it just stopped working...
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(29.6 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

I am refering to the log when TV was recognised. I see that only when video is transcoded subs are working (Coach Carter) but the TV is correctly asking for the subs when the video is streamed and UMS send them (e.g. AntMan.avi) so there must be setting on the TV to show them.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

right now i can't get tv to show UMS...
When i put the same files on usb stick and directly to TV everything works perfect...
And when i play it from UMS, setting for subs on TV are greyed out like there are no subtitles...
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm sorry, I think I misread the log where I though there was a Chromecast issue. Unless you actually own a Chromecast, forget about that. If you have a Chromecast, your latest debug files still shows that "chromecast_extension" isn't set to "false". You can see it yourself by opening "UMS.conf" inside the zip-file, so wherever you edited the configuration it wasn't in the correct place. But again, forget about it unless you actually have a Chromecast.

When it comes to why your TV can't see UMS I can't help but think that this must be due to the software in the TV. Try to "refresh" DLNA servers if that's a possibility, or try to "cold restart" the TV (that means turning it off, unplugging it, plugging it back in and turning it back on).
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@Mr.X
You have to allow the TV to access to the DLNA server. This can be done in the DLNA server's menus.
See the LG manual:
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product ... aring-dlna

To enable subtitles on LG, as explained into your manual i guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGvl2UF5Rg

EDIT:
LG-LA1630.conf
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 317 times