UMS Disconnecting after internet switch

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
apg1981

UMS Disconnecting after internet switch

Post by apg1981 »

So just yesterday i switched my internet from Verizon's 75/75 pkg to their new gigabit pkg that just rolled out in my city. Speeds are amazing everything seemed to be working great but then I started up UMS and was watching some stuff and started getting the Disconnect problem some have reported. My DC's happen around every 20 minutes or so. I never used to have these issues files would always play through I mean I would have the normal issues that i was accustomed to with some transcoding options not working, Sync issues and such but this is completely new. Just hoping there might be something I can do to remedy this problem or find out if is it unrelated. Thank you for any help in advance.
Nadahar

Re: UMS Disconnecting after internet switch

Post by Nadahar »

UMS doesn't care about your internet connection, so the question is if anything else has changed. Did you make any changes to your internal network, new router or similar? If you're using Wifi and has a new Wifi router, the router might have a weaker signal so that either the connection to the UMS computer or the renderer has less bandwidth or is unstable. The amount of traffic on your network may also have an impact, maybe your new connection means you are running much more stuff through your network? Except for that, it's hard to see how it could be related.

If there are no obvious hints when thinking through any changes on your local network, you should generate debug files as described in red above while playing a video until the issue occurs.
apg1981

Post by apg1981 »

Nothing out of the ordinary on my network PC PS4 PS3 cell phone tablet and for some reason my 3 cable boxes show up but they have always shown up on UMS.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That wasn't what I asked. Have you replaced the router, network cards or related software/drivers when changing the ISP?
apg1981

Post by apg1981 »

I'm sorry my initial reply never went through didn't realize Yes they needed to install their newer modem/router because I had pretty old equipment the new router can handle the new gigabit my old was only able to go up to 100mb. That is what I was told anyway. It makes sense my router was pretty old.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That makes more sense. The reason for the problem is probably the new router then. Since you let "them" install the new router, I'm guessing you don't know much about networking. It's hard to say exactly what can be the cause, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with your local network configuration.

Debug files would give some information about your network, although limited. I'm suspecting that IPv6 can be related to issues, and it's quite likely that your new router use IPv6. UMS doesn't support IPv6, neither does most UPnP/DLNA equipment. IPv6 support was only added in the very last version of the standard.
apg1981

Post by apg1981 »

Ok then understood I mean its not the worst problem in the world as it happens every 20 minutes but i can restart the client and continue from where i stopped. So if I install the newest build I might have better luck or is it just a shot in the dark? Either way thanks for all your help.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think any new version of UMS will help as I don't think UMS is the problem. If you have a PS4 it might be worth a shot to configure it with a fixed IP address. Also disabling IPv6 on the UMS computer might help.

Except for that, it's impossible to give any "general advice" as the problem is probably found in your local network. If UMS implements IPv6 some time in the future, that might help if IPv6 is the cause, but there are no plans for this that I'm aware of at the moment.