My Samsung TV suddenly stopped seeing UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Pinsius

My Samsung TV suddenly stopped seeing UMS

Post by Pinsius »

Hello guys,

I´m using UMS 6.7.2 and until now everything was working fine. I mean i didnt do anything with Java or UMS itself and suddenly a problem appeared. The problem is that my TV (Samsung) cannot see the UMS, even when the UMS see the TV "online". Things i tried:
- Reinstall UMS
- Reinstall java
- Disable Firewall
- Restart router
- Wait 24 hours :D (its funny but sometimes some of the problems disappear noone knows how )

Im adding my debug files to the attachments. Thanks for any info!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
debug files
(32.62 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Nadahar

Re: My Samsung TV suddenly stopped seeing UMS

Post by Nadahar »

I can't see any specific error in your log that would explain why your TV wouldn't see UMS. However, there are multiple problems that will make UMS work "sub-optimal".

First of all, you have a 64-bit OS yet you're running a 32-bit Java version. Second, you've allocated only 250 MB RAM to UMS, while you've got 8 GB in total and 4 GB unused RAM. The default "minimum" for UMS is 750 MB.

Second, you're missing all the "helper programs" UMS use - FFmpeg, MEncoder, MediaInfo etc. These are installed automatically by the installer, so it doesn't seem like you've installed UMS properly.

Install the latest version using the installer and install 64 bit Java and try again. If it doesn't help, make new debug files.
Pinsius

Post by Pinsius »

Thanks for your reply.

I´ve installed the things you recommended ( i gave 750 MB to UMS, installed 64 bit java, and used the installed and installed FFmpeg(however I dont need other things for now as I was not using them anyway). Here im attaching the debug files.
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
Debug files n.2
(33.4 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I can't really see anything wrong in the log file now. Regarding the external programs used by UMS, you don't have to install them, they are installed by UMS' installer, which is why UMS assumes that they are there. It doesn't really matter if "you" use them, UMS usees them for different purposes. FFmpeg can't do everything UMS needs.

This sounds like a network problem of some sort. I see that you have several VirtualBox sub interfaces installed on your network interface, and I'm wondering if they can cause problems. Did UMS use to work while those were installed?

Another problem is that you stopped logging so soon. You created the log file only 5 seconds after UMS had finished starting. I can't understand that you've had the time to search for UMS from the TV in that time. I need to see what, if anything, is happening when this happens. UMS and your TV does the "initial handshake" like they are supposed to. The TV is contacting UMS and requesting information, so it's obvous that the TV "sees" UMS. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will show UMS in the menu, if it for some reason figures it's not "compatible" or there's another problem. The question is why it doesn't show UMS, so I need whatever happens when it decides this to be logged.
Pinsius

Post by Pinsius »

Hmm i dont know what to do then to log it properly, the thing i did was that i started UMS, started "running" to TV, pressed Source(where i switched before the sources before) and I cannot see my UMS server name here.

About VirtualBox - yea it was here from the beginning i guess even when it worked before.

Im attaching some another log, i let it opened for longer but dont know if it helps..
Attachments
ums_dbg3.zip
(34.33 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You're right, it didn't make a difference. I don't know what to say, I can't see any problem in your log and the TV and UMS is clearly communicating like they should. You TV is choosing not to show UMS for some reason, and I can't tell why. Since the communication takes place like it should, I'd say that firewall and network issues can be eliminated.

The TV never asks UMS for any actual content, which is logical since you never "open" UMS from the TV (as it's not shown), but except from that it seems to me like everything is "normal". To actually pinpoint this we'd need to why exactly why the TV chooses not to show UMS. Could it be that the TV has been updates with new firmware either manually or automatically and that's what caused the change in behaviour?
Pinsius

Post by Pinsius »

I managed to fix it! You were right, the problem wasn´t with UMS but probably with my TV. I tried to unplugg the TV from the power and after that it appeared in my source list !

Thanks for your time and help!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Hehe, good to know ;) I didn't understand anything.. :geek: