Java 9 and UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
renehoss

Java 9 and UMS

Post by renehoss »

I saw that Java 9 was released today, being no longer beta I believe.
Will UMS be able to run with Java 9?
Or if not will that be so with future builds of UMS?
Or are there no development plans in that direction so that we must keep Java 8?
Nadahar

Re: Java 9 and UMS

Post by Nadahar »

We haven't tested UMS with Java 9 yet, and I typically stay away from new stuff until it has been "battle-hardened" some. That said, Java is generally backwards compatible so in theory is should work with Java 9 as it is now.

UMS is still using "Java 7 compatible" code - we haven't taken any of the Java 8 features in use, since it would no longer work on Java 7. Until recently Java 8 hasn't been available by standard on some Linux distributions, and Java 7 is the last Java version that support Windows XP (which is still the 3. most used OS out there). As such, I think we'll have to support Java 7 for a while yet, so any "Java 9 features" aren't actually available for us to use for years.
endymion

Post by endymion »

On MacOS, Universal Media Server refuses to open with Java 9 installed. It puts up an alert saying something like it couldn't launch Java runtime.

Deleted Java 9 and reverted back to 8 and it opens again.

Maybe Min and Max Java versions need to be set so that it will still use 8 even if 9 is also installed.
renehoss

Post by renehoss »

On Windows 10 with Java 9 installed UMS refuses to run, doesn't recognize that Java is installed, starts downloading an older version of Java and installs it. So now you end up with 2 versions of Java.
Uninstalled Java 9 and the one installed by UMS; reinstalled latest Java 8 and everything is OK again. So there _are_ compatibility issues... :)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, good to know. These seems like very fundamental problems with Java not being recognized, once that is figured out there hopefully won't be much issues with actually running Java 9. There are always a lot of issues when something "big" like Java 9 is released, so I always prefer to wait some months after release until they have fixed the most serious flaws before making an effort getting it to work.