Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
boss

Re: Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

Post by boss »

@asitis

If you are worried about disabling your firewall, then disconnect your router from the internet prior to disabling your firewall.
Nadahar is just trying to help you. I can't see anything patronising or rude in his comments at all.
People on this forum are here to help you with UMS and not teach you computer basics.

There is no point in him in going into the full explanation of your firewall unless he knows if that is the problem.
So... Disconnect your router (if you are worried about security).
Turn off your firewall and test UMS again.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@asitis I totally agree with @Nadahar and @boss.
Just come down, as 99% chance are that is exactly the origin of your issue: an incorrect firewall configuration.
99% chance are that this error come from user side only and have nothing to do with UMS program ;)

The more easy way is to follow what @Nadahar told you, and after to learn how to configure your firewall correctly, and i'm pretty sure that Google will be able to help you on your specific firewall / OS configuration.

Such issue can also arise when an automatic Java update as been done, and Windows been Windows, user will not be aware of it as it is set by default in the background, and the firewall can react in consequence and block the connections, partially or totally.

That's said, as you didn't followed the forum rules write in red, and doesn't give any useful informations, that could also be a setting need to bet set in your TV network / DLNA configuration as specified in the manual...Samsung renderers are well known for it.
Last edited by Sami32 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
asitis

Post by asitis »

boss wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 am @asitis

If you are worried about disabling your firewall, then disconnect your router from the internet prior to disabling your firewall.
Nadahar is just trying to help you. I can't see anything patronising or rude in his comments at all.
People on this forum are here to help you with UMS and not teach you computer basics.

There is no point in him in going into the full explanation of your firewall unless he knows if that is the problem.
So... Disconnect your router (if you are worried about security).
Turn off your firewall and test UMS again.
Thats fine I never asked to be taught computer basics.

I am trying what I am capable of and if I have limitations nothing I can do about that.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Ok will turn off firewall in windows to test to see if have same issues but how do I turn off firewall in the router as no option to completely turn it off.

I am sorry nadahar and others if I sound rude and aggressive I am just so stressed as to why TVs cant see UMS anymore.

Probably is firewall causing issues blocking UMS access. Not blaming UMS at all as prefer that to other similar programs.

Sorry once again
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Do NOT turn off the firewall in your router - only on the computer running UMS!
boss

Post by boss »

@asitis
What version of UMS are you running.
I purchased a new LG smart TV a couple of months ago and that could not be seen by UMS either. I was asked to try a modified version of UMS 6.7.3 and that fixed the problem.

That fix has been implemented in UMS 6.7.4 and that version is now able to see my LG smart TV.
If you haven't already done so, perhaps try installing UMS 6.7.4 and see how that goes.
:)

Don't stress and step by step I'm sure you will be up and running with UMS.
asitis

Post by asitis »

@boss

Thanks mate. Very hard as no idea what is causing these issues. Dont want to be stressed but really is bothering me.

Uninstalled the UMS version I had and installed the latest version and still both TVs cant see UMS. No idea why.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Have you tried with your Windows firewall turned off? You should NOT touch the router firewall, that's the one actually protecting your network. You should only turn off the firewall on the computer that is running UMS.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Ok will turn windows firewall off next to see then if both TVs can see UMS.

Thanks.
asitis

Post by asitis »

So tried with firewall off same issue. But then something odd happened.

I uninstalled UMS and installed the latest version again.

It asked to install avisynth but I refused as wasnt sure what that was.

Then removed and added folders and scanned those folders.

Turned TVs on, restarted server and behold UMS was recognised by the TVs without firewall turned off.

Any idea why this has suddenly worked as I have done nothing different compared to before so really baffled as whats changed? Hope it doesnt cause issues again.

However couple of issues with playing a file format. I have a few files which are m2ts format but get error on both TVs when trying to play any reason why?

Lastly I see a folder called "transcode" with my media files in what is this as I usually stream the files which are outside the transcode folder?

Thanks