Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

Post by Nadahar »

You don't normally need to use "clean install" unless you want to set everything back to default. When you have trouble getting it to work it could be a good idea though.

You only need to install AviSynth if you intend to use it. "Normal" users don't need it, if you don't know what it is you don't need it.
asitis

Post by asitis »

I have attached the debug.log file as still no screen shows.

I installed and ticked "clean install" and not installed avisynth yet still UMS does not open.

Will this not work now?

I initially installed version 7.0.0 before installing 6.8.0 dont know if because of that having this issue.
Attachments
debug.log
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, the problem now is that you've gone from 7.0.0 to 6.x. The database isn't locked anymore, but it's incompatible. It is easy to solve. Go to "C:\ProgramData\UMS\" and delete the folder "database" (including the files in it). After that UMS should start normally.
asitis

Post by asitis »

So what was difference with last debug log compared to latest one I sent?

After deleting the folder database shall I reboot or reinstall UMS?

EDIT: Just deleted the database folder and one file in it and still UMS is not opening.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You must quit UMS before deleting the database folder. Make sure the folder is really gone, and then start UMS. If it still doesn't work, please upload a new log file.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Yep still doesnt work. This is a pain now.
Attachments
debug.log
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You still have a too new version of the database, so something didn't go according to plan. You have to delete the folder "C:\ProgramData\UMS\database". If you can't delete it, restart the computer and then delete it.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Seems only way could get it to work was delete the folder then uninstall and reinstall the program which I have done now. Upon installing it then asked 4 questions which not sure if answered correctly then the main panel window showed. Bit odd has to go through this long process but works now. Thanks Nadahar mate :)

Have a few questions regarding the setup and what I need to change as its set to default settings I think at the moment. Just want to make sure I am getting best viewing experience with settings of UMS.

What are the best settings I need to change to?

If viewing blurays which are remuxes so in MKV format or m2ts is this compressed in anyway when playing through UMS to the TV?

Is it possible to play ISOs through UMS and can UMS play all formats and file types?

If PC is wired and TVs are wireless what is the best setting?

For audio settings do I need to tick all 4 options? Would the best audio track do be played through UMS to the TV?

Do I need to tick "remux videos with tsmuxer" at all?

Where files are transcoded from the trasncode folder does this mean its compressed and converted to a format that can be played to the TV?

Any other settings as really not sure which settings are best to view proper blurays without the video and audio quality be touched and compressed?
asitis

Post by asitis »

Any chance the above questions raised could be answered please. Would really appreciate it.

Want to know got the right settings and am getting full experience when trying to watch through UMS to the renderer (TV)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are no general "best settings". It depends on your equipment, network and how you want thing to work. That's why we have settings, otherwise we would just set the value to whatever was "best".

Every value has a default, and the default is what is considered to be "best in average". That doesn't mean it's the best for you.

You can find documentation for some settings in the [urlhttps://github.com/UniversalMediaServer/UniversalMediaServer/wiki]wiki[/url] and most are also described in the default configuration files:

https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... s/UMS.conf
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... derer.conf

In addition you can find discussions and explanations for many of the settings on this forum.

I don't know the answer to all the things you ask for, but I can try to answer the ones I have an idea about.
If viewing blurays which are remuxes so in MKV format or m2ts is this compressed in anyway when playing through UMS to the TV?
It depends on your renderer and what formats it can play. If your renderer is capable of playing back the format as it is (and the renderer configuration is correct), UMS won't convert the content. If that's not the case, the content will be transcoded into something that the renderer can handle, with compression/quality degradation as a result. You can also configure UMS to transcode anything about a certain bandwidth if your network has limited capacity. That will obviously also lead to quality loss.
Is it possible to play ISOs through UMS and can UMS play all formats and file types?
UMS can play DVD ISOs - I don't think there's any support for Blu-ray ISO's. UMS can handle a lot of formats, but it's impossible to support "all" format and file types. I'd say it can handle all you'd probably need.
If PC is wired and TVs are wireless what is the best setting?
That depends on your wireless network. It doesn't matter for UMS if you use wired or wireless network, but a wireless network usually has much less bandwidth than a wired network. If you have an AC network with a very strong signal, it might perform close to a 1Gbps wired network though. If your wireless network has a bad bandwidth (which is the most common), you might have to reduce the maximum bandwidth that UMS will allow to play high-bitrate content.

For audio settings do I need to tick a ... o the TV?
This depends completely on your equipment and preference.
Do I need to tick "remux videos with tsmuxer" at all?
tsmuxer can remux some content into a MPEG-TS container without reencoding the content. That will lead to less CPU usage for your computer and better video quality, but it only works for some content. tsmuxer has some bugs that means it doesn't work with all devices and/or content, and it's only really relevant if your renderer can't play typical "modern" formats like MKV and MP4, but can play MPEG-TS with x264 inside.
Where files are transcoded from the trasncode folder does this mean its compressed and converted to a format that can be played to the TV?
UMS will automatically transcode content according to the configuration without the use of the transcode folder. The transcode folder is for those instances where the automatic choice isn't what you want. Inside the transcode folder you can select to play any combination of transcoding engine, audio track and subtitles track that you wish.
Any other settings as really not sure which settings are best to view proper blurays without the video and audio quality be touched and compressed?
Again, this really depends on the capabilities of your renderer and your network. If they can both handle blueray content and the configuration is correct, UMS won't transcode content if it doesn't have to.