Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
valib
Developer

Re: Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

Post by valib »

@Nadahar it sems to me that he set UMS to run as a service and in this case the GUI is not able to show until the service is stopped. I recommend to uninstall the UMS and install it in the default setting.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@valib The uninstaller won't uninstall the service AFAIK, so the service must be stopped, UMS started and the service uninstalled first.
asitis

Post by asitis »

I have uninstalled and installed UMS 5 times now and still UMS is not starting up or showing in the taskbar.

Could it be a problem with the version I am using?

Also when I install do I need to put a tick where it says "clean install"?

It also asks me to install "avisynth" should I do this?

Really lost as to why UMS is not working for me.
asitis

Post by asitis »

How did I install UMS as a service as I honestly dont know how I would have done this?

Sorry for all these questions I am really trying even though all of this is way over my head.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

We don't know for sure that you have installed UMS as a service, but it's the most likely reason. The problem is that the database UMS uses is already in use when you start UMS, and it's hard to imagine that anything else than a running UMS instance can cause that.

To check if UMS is installed as a service, run "services.msc" from the Windows "Run" window (WinKey + r). A list of installed services will appear. Scroll down and see if "Universal Media Server" is in the list. If it is, rightclick the service and select "stop". When the service is stopped you should be able to start UMS normally. Once the UMS GUI is showing, navigate to the "General" tab and click the button that says something like "Uninstall UMS as a service". Quit UMS and reboot the computer so that the service is fully uninstalled.

If you don't find UMS in the list of services, something else is going on. If that's the case, please say so and we'll see if we can find another way forward.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Really dont understand what you mean UMS is a service as thought was just a program.

I entered services.msc in windows run but Universal Media Server is no where to be seen.

This is concerning as I have done nothing different.

Downloaded the program from the main page and installed thats it.

So am baffled as to why its not opening/starting.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

UMS can run either as a service or as an application. The most common cause for the database files to be locked is that people have clicked the "install as a service" button without being aware or understanding the consequences and thus experiencing this problem. Since UMS wasn't installed as a service, this isn't the case here though.

There are other ways to find out what's locking files, the easiest is probably using Sysinternals Process Explorer. If that is too much trouble, the easiest way is to reboot the computer. I've told you to do that several times, but you haven't confirmed if you have done it or not. It needs to be a proper restart (Start -> Restart), just closing the lid on a laptop or going to sleep mode won't help releasing locked files.

After you have done the restart, start UMS once only and then upload the logfile like you did in a previous post. It should be impossible for the database to be locked the first time you try to start UMS, so that logfile should reveal if there are other problems preventing UMS from starting.
asitis

Post by asitis »

What is sysinternals process explorer?

I have rebooted computer multiple times after installing UMS but nothing starts up or loads when rebooted.

So you want me to open UMS even though it doesnt start up at all and upload the debug.log file?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I made a link for Sysinternals Process Explorer that you will see if you click it.

UMS does start up, the problem is that you can't see anything on the screen because there's an error before the window/GUI is created. So yes, I want you to reboot your computer, start UMS only once directly after rebooting and then upload the debug.log file.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Do I need to do Sysinternals Process Explorer?

When installing UMS are you meant put a tick where it says "clean install" on the installation window?

Should I install avisynth?