Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
asitis

Re: Both Smart TVs cant see UMS?

Post by asitis »

Yes I understand it is very hard to determine the best settings.

I have gone on to those links for best settings but honestly I dont understand it.

I just dont know if I am using UMS properly especially with it all at default currently.

How would I know if UMS converts to a format it can play on the renderer? So transcoding would indeed mean compression. I want to play my files which are not compressed in its original state.

So there is no way of playing Bluray ISOs through UMS? Will it be a feature in the future?

Im assuming you mean data and speed when you say bandwidth? So I should leave the wired network setting as it is. There is two settings which say wired network. Thought I had to change that if devices were wired and wireless. My wireless signal is up and down so is not strong all the time. I do have big files which are high bit rate and I need to play those ones. But not sure if will have problems.

I thought the transcode folder was playing files which couldnt be played normal way and the files in transcode folder were converted to different format?

So confused and lost as want to play content with easy and no problems and dont want compression. No idea about settings.
asitis

Post by asitis »

Would have appreciated a reply to my questions in last message I sent guess its not possible and should not ask then?

Can 3D blurays be played as I read they can but tried to do it but nothing happened.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

When UMS is working for you now it is the time to follow the instructions and send not only the debug.log but all zipped files especially your TV.conf after you try to play the Blue-ray ISO.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I've already answered you to the best of my abilites. If UMS is correctly configured, it will only transcode if the renderer doesn't support the format. That means you will only get "degraded quality" where you wouldn't otherwise be able to play the file at all.

When I say bandwidth I mean how much data your network can transfer per time unit, aka. kBps or MBps, and not only in short bursts but continously. If you use your wireless network at all on either UMS or your renderer(s), you should use the wireless setting - which restricts the bandwidth. The only way to restrict bandwidth is to also restrict quality. If you want the best quality, you should use a wired network. Can can adjust the bandwith UMS should use as a maximum manually, and there's no easy way to find the "correct" number but to try different values and see what works. If you set a too high value, you will get playback problems like skipping/jumping, freezing or errors. Ideally you'd want to set it as high as possible without causing problems. If you wireless bandwidth is unstable, it could be very hard to find a suitable value and you would have to set it to the value your network is at its worst.

The transcode folder is for manually being able to select the combination of transcoding engine, audio track and subtitles track. UMS will find a combination automatically based on the configuration, which is what is used for the "normal" entry outside the transcode folder. Inside the transcode folder, you can pick the one you want yourself, even the "no transcoding" option that will just send the file as it is.

I don't know if there will be support for Bluray ISO's, it depends on what is available to us. Currently none of the 3. party tools we have can read a Bluray ISO, which is why it's not supported. DVD ISOs are only read by MEncoder, so you can only play them if MEncoder is enabled and working.

Most Bluray ISO's are also encrypted, and the laws in most countries makes it illegal to decrypt them. This is probably the main reason why very few bother to write software that reads them, they would have MAFIAA and their henchmen constantly harassing them. IMO people should support their practices by buying Blurays. Regardless, if some of the 3. party tools used by UMS would offer such support in the future (unlikely), UMS would probably also offer it. It's not really my area of expertise, but I think there are software available available that could solve it for you like MakeMKV and AnyDVD. Whether you could do so legally would depend on your local law.
asitis

Post by asitis »

valib wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 am When UMS is working for you now it is the time to follow the instructions and send not only the debug.log but all zipped files especially your TV.conf after you try to play the Blue-ray ISO.
I thought Blu ray ISOs cant be played through UMS?
asitis

Post by asitis »

Nadahar wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm I've already answered you to the best of my abilites. If UMS is correctly configured, it will only transcode if the renderer doesn't support the format. That means you will only get "degraded quality" where you wouldn't otherwise be able to play the file at all.

When I say bandwidth I mean how much data your network can transfer per time unit, aka. kBps or MBps, and not only in short bursts but continously. If you use your wireless network at all on either UMS or your renderer(s), you should use the wireless setting - which restricts the bandwidth. The only way to restrict bandwidth is to also restrict quality. If you want the best quality, you should use a wired network. Can can adjust the bandwith UMS should use as a maximum manually, and there's no easy way to find the "correct" number but to try different values and see what works. If you set a too high value, you will get playback problems like skipping/jumping, freezing or errors. Ideally you'd want to set it as high as possible without causing problems. If you wireless bandwidth is unstable, it could be very hard to find a suitable value and you would have to set it to the value your network is at its worst.

The transcode folder is for manually being able to select the combination of transcoding engine, audio track and subtitles track. UMS will find a combination automatically based on the configuration, which is what is used for the "normal" entry outside the transcode folder. Inside the transcode folder, you can pick the one you want yourself, even the "no transcoding" option that will just send the file as it is.

I don't know if there will be support for Bluray ISO's, it depends on what is available to us. Currently none of the 3. party tools we have can read a Bluray ISO, which is why it's not supported. DVD ISOs are only read by MEncoder, so you can only play them if MEncoder is enabled and working.

Most Bluray ISO's are also encrypted, and the laws in most countries makes it illegal to decrypt them. This is probably the main reason why very few bother to write software that reads them, they would have MAFIAA and their henchmen constantly harassing them. IMO people should support their practices by buying Blurays. Regardless, if some of the 3. party tools used by UMS would offer such support in the future (unlikely), UMS would probably also offer it. It's not really my area of expertise, but I think there are software available available that could solve it for you like MakeMKV and AnyDVD. Whether you could do so legally would depend on your local law.
What happens if I dont restrict bandwidth?

I want the best quality and dont want to restrict bandwidth if this degrades the quality.

I thought transcode folder would play files which would not work outside the "normal folder"

I am so confused as not sure how to configure UMS right.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I already answered all your questions above, please re-read.
asitis

Post by asitis »

I have mate thats why I am asking questions again.

Dont know what to do. Was really hoping someone could tell me how to best use UMS.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I must either be bad at explaining or you must be bad at understanding then. I have explained as good as I can. If anyone else can find a way to "translate" what I've said so that it's easier to understand, please go ahead..