My mac won't open UMS anymore

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AuthenticM

My mac won't open UMS anymore

Post by AuthenticM »

I use UMS regularly. I was on 6.7.1 up until earlier today, so I downloaded 6.7.4. I uninstalled 6.7.1, installed 6.7.4 and tried to launch it. I get a system message from El Capitan basically saying "can't launch app". It's not because of the mac security feature that blocks unsigned apps, because I had turned it off just like I always do when launching a new version of UMS for the first time.

Here's my hypothesis. For the longest time, I used AppCleaner to uninstall UMS (it's pretty much the only app I uninstall regularly, as I don't use my mac much other than for browsing the net and streaming videos). It's never been an issue, and every time I used it, it would ask to delete the same four files. But maybe this time, it deleted a file that it wasn't supposed to? I researched AppCleaner on google and most people were saying not to use it as there were chances it would muck up my mac, so I deleted the app.

so now what? Am I screwed out of UMS until I format and reinstall El Capitan (I have a mid-2009 macbook pro that won't let me upgrade further)? Or maybe this issue doesn't have to do with AppCleaner and you guys might have an idea what's causing it?

Thanks
Nadahar

Re: My mac won't open UMS anymore

Post by Nadahar »

First of all you shouldn't need an "appcleaner" to uninstall UMS, it keeps all it's files where it should so simply deleting the application should be sufficient. Second, UMS has all the files it needs except Java itself in the DMG, so it shouldn't matter what your "appcleaner" removed.

The one thing I can think of is that "appcleaner" removed something that made your Java installation stop working. Download and install the latest Java 8 from Oracle (UMS doesn't work with Java 9 yet), and try again.
AuthenticM

Post by AuthenticM »

I did that and it solved the issue!

Thank you
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Great. I generally never use such "cleaners". They often do things you don't want and most programs clean up after themselves.