Transcoded files, Where are you ?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Resease

Transcoded files, Where are you ?

Post by Resease »

Hi, I got a SSD and HDD on my notebook and I just want to make sure that the transcoded files just go to RAM and not to my SSD, I really don't want these giant files being written and read in my SSD. This doubt made me install UMS on my HDD but I'm still not sure if it is creating some temporary folder on my profile located at SSD.
Should I set something to avoid disk saving or do nothing (even install UMS on SSD) ? and What about the ones recently played or marked to be resumed ? Are there just in the virtual folders ?
Nadahar

Re: Transcoded files, Where are you ?

Post by Nadahar »

The transcoded data isn't stored anywhere, it's streamed directly to the renderer. There are however buffering (pipes) and other temporary files used. The location of the temp folder varies by OS, but UMS will try to use the "OS default location". You can see the location used as a temp folder by reading the information at the start of the log.

If the location isn't what you want it to be, you can set it manually by setting "temp_directory =" in UMS.conf.

UMS also creates a media database and some other files that are updated regularly. These can be found in your "profile folder". The profile folder defaults to different location depending on you OS, the location of this can also be found early in the log.

Moving the profile folder can be a bit more work, as it's not possible to configure in the configuration file (since the configuration file itself is in the profile folder). To use a non-default profile folder, you must add "profile:<path>" (where <path> should be replaces with the actual path) to the command launching UMS. This also varies by OS, but can be done by editing UMS' shortcut on Windows, editing info.plist on macOS or editing UMS.sh on Linux.
Resease

Re: Transcoded files, Where are you ?

Post by Resease »

Thanks, I've checked some folders located at OS disk and it seems they have small files, so, I will just keep them right there.