Sony Bravia aspect issue and IP filtering whitelist.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mthabib

Sony Bravia aspect issue and IP filtering whitelist.

Post by mthabib »

I really like UMS but keep using PS3 media server because UMS cannot render for my Bravia TV (Video appears squished) and ip filtering does not work (Not matter what ip I put in the whitelist all my other devices in my network show up) . They both work seamlessly in PMS. Anybody knows how to fix these issues. Thanks.
Nadahar

Re: Sony Bravia aspect issue and IP filtering whitelist.

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know about the Bravia, but that's hopefully just some wrong settings. When it comes to the IP filter, I've never tested it myself, but from what I've seen in the code it doesn't prevent discovery. It's when you try to browse/play media that the IP filter should block.

The reason for this is that the discovery in UPnP/DLNA is multicast based, and use predetermined multicast IP addresses and ports that are common to all renderers. It would probably be possible to filter the detection as well, but I'm not so sure it would be so easy. PMS doesn't really support the UPnP discovery mechanism, which would explain why this isn't an issue with PMS.

Have you checked if actual browsing and playback is possible from blocked devices?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

For the image squeeze/stretch
Try add following to your config of your TV

Code: Select all

KeepAspectRatio = true
KeepAspectRatioTranscoding = true

Regarding whitelisting devices, i came up with a way to do it by using device uuid.
In short it blacklists all devices, except the ones you define.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8558
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

As usually users do you didn't follow rules written in red above. The white list works and only listed IP addresses can see the UMS. To make it working also means to set IP address static for renderers you can allow to use the UMS. Please set the white list as you need and send the log to be evaluated by us. I think that you set the white list incorrectly.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@valib I don't think that's true. Remember that because of your network being configured wrong, UPnP multicast messages are dropped. That makes UMS work very much like PMS. You can't expect that to be the norm though.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@Nadahar maybe you are right but we need the log anyway to see what is wrong.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@valib I agree that a log would be nice, but as I said above I don't think "hiding" UMS for certain renderers is possible when you follow the UPnP discovery rules. That's why I wanted confirmation for whether actually trying to get content is blocked.

The way UPnP discovery over multicast works is that all compliant devices announces their existance to a predefined multicast IP when they are turned on and on a regular basis ever after. That means that both UMS and the renderers does this. At the same time they all listen to the same predefined multicast IP address at the predefined port, and since it's multicast and message sent to that IP will be received by all listeners.

As such, any renderer that listens will detect UMS when UMS announces its existence. In the same way, UMS will detect any renderer that announces its existence. Once that's done, UMS could choose to "not register"/display renderers that's allowed according to the IP filter, but it wouldn't do any difference for the renderer - it would still "see" UMS.

AFAIK the IP filter isn't implemented in the discovery part at all (as it would have no point), and the filter is first checked when a renderer attempts to connect directly to UMS with unicast. At that point, filtered renderers should be rejected and shouldn't be able to browse the contentdirectory or request media.

If UMS is visible to blocked renderers but they can't get content, I'd say that it works "as designed". The UPnP specification simply doesn't provide any mechanizm for "hiding" for certain devices.

If the renderer is able to browse UMS on the other hand, we have a bug.