Bug? Files kept open

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
galmok

Bug? Files kept open

Post by galmok »

I am sometimes using UMS to watch videos that I later want to move or delete. But UMS keeps the files open, preventing the deletion. Quitting UMS releases the files and I can do as I want.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Using UMS 6.7.4.
galmok

Re: Bug? Files kept open

Post by galmok »

I want to add that UMS only locks the files I have been watching.

If I later want to delete them, the delete appears to have worked in that it doesn't error (the first time), but the files remain where they are. Quitting UMS at this point apparently makes the delete continue and the files are removed.

I have verified with Process Hacker that it is indeed UMS that is keep the files open (and hence locked).
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

In our Wiki, it is write that in the "Navigation/Share Settings" tab, using "Fully played action" -> Move file to recycle/trash bin, will do the job. You've plenty of others options as explained in our Wiki.

The media are kept locked when video resuming is enabled, and perhaps also when monitoring is enabled. Options that you choose from the "Navigation/Share Settings" tab.
Into our Wiki and UMS.conf you will find more informations how to change the minimal value to be considered as a media fully played.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@Sami32 I'm not so sure they are supposed to be kept open; in fact I'm quite sure they shouldn't. A filesystem can only have so many files open, so it will lead to a failure to open new files eventually. It's probably a bug, but tracking it down and fixing it seems like something I'm not up for at the moment.

It would be interesting to know if this is always the case, or if it's only the case either when transcoding or not transcoding.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@Nadahar I don't use resuming so let's presume that it is not a bug ;)
But knowing as buggy is the resume code...
Last edited by Sami32 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
galmok

Post by galmok »

Well, IMHO it doesn't seem like good practice to keep files open in case the user might want to access it again later. The file can easily be reopened, and if gone at that time, cancel any operation related to it. The files are kept locked for days on end.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@galmok Can you confirm that it doesn't happen if you disable "Resume" and/or don't monitor the folders ? Thanks.
galmok

Post by galmok »

Sami32 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 am @galmok Can you confirm that it doesn't happen if you disable "Resume" and/or don't monitor the folders ? Thanks.
I can't comfirm that. Even with Video Resuming off and no played status monitored on any directory did UMS lock the files.

Actually, it is not the media file being locked, but the folder containing the media file.

And there is not just 1 handle on the folders, I have seen up to 9 handles, but also down to 1 handle.

I THINK the number of handles correspond to the number of times my pc has woken from standby, or the number of days that has passed since I streamed the file via UMS.

Also note, I streamed all files via the un-transcoded DLNA submenu option.

UMS: 6.7.4 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Update: Clicking Restart Server did not release the files. I had to Quit UMS to make it release the handles.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@galmok Thank you for your feedback. So it seem a bug to me then.
You can modify and set this line "MediaInfo = false" into your renderer's configuration file and try again.
The media support will be poorest and weak, but i strongly suspect that no more files locking will occur anymore.

Thank you for your understanding.
galmok

Post by galmok »

Sami32 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 am @galmok Thank you for your feedback. So it seem a bug to me then.
You can modify and set this line "MediaInfo = false" into your renderer's configuration file and try again.
The media support will be poorest and weak, but i strongly suspect that no more files locking will occur anymore.

Thank you for your understanding.
I did as asked, but files still get locked and can only be deleted once UMS is exited.