No music on Yamaha RX-A2010

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
EvE

No music on Yamaha RX-A2010

Post by EvE »

Hello,

I would like some feedback concerning my problem.
I installed UMS but unfortunately the Gui nor the "Bump" in the web-interface can send music to my Yamaha RX-A2010, I can play to another browser (firefox) but not to my Yamaha. My receiver is discovered without any problem, but sending music from UMS is a "no go"

I tried with the versions 6.7.2; 6.7.3; 6.7.4 and 7.0.0.
I can connect an app on my iPhone to UMS and play song to my yamaha, while playing I can see the title and playtime appearing in the status-view.
Once the song is playing (via app) I can Stop or Pause it in UMS-Gui.

In other Windows programs like foobar, bee, jriver (I've tried them all) I can stream ("play to") my receiver without any problem.
All ios apps recognize my receiver ass a renderer without any problems.

What did I try:
- install different versions (and restore my pc each time)
- re-create profiles in ums
- check all possible settings in ums.conf
- tested with different heapmem settings ....

Help :-)

included the debugfiles

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
20171113-ums_dbg.zip
debug files
(286.07 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Nadahar

Re: No music on Yamaha RX-A2010

Post by Nadahar »

I think you have a somewhat misinformed understanding of how UPnP AV/DLNA works. Simplified a bit, there are basically 3 "classes" of devices: Servers, Renderers and Players. Any device can implement one or more of these classes.

I "server" simply serves media. It doesn't handle playback or playback control at all. A "renderer" does the browsing and selection of media, and provides playback control. A "player" simply does the playback itself.

Most devices that aren't servers are both "renderer" and "player". There are some that aren't though. To play a media file using UPnP AV/DLNA, you need to have something filling the role of all device classes. Recent iterations of the DLNA standard enforces that all "players" must also be "renderers". Your Yamaha seems to implement both.

The browsing/selection/playback control (stop, start, next etc.) takes place on the "renderer". UMS is a "server" implementation, where a few experimental parts of the "renderer" class has also been implemented. These are probably the things you have found that doesn't work that well (using the renderer "panel" or the "bumb" feature). This implementation is very lacking and full of bugs. It doesn't take much before this doesn't work. It's not how UMS is meant to be used though, which is probably also why it has gotten so little attention.

You can use any "renderer" to tell your Yamaha what to play. It can be an app like BubbleUPnP, another (DLNA) device or your Yamaha itself. You can control playback from the Yamaha itself with the remote control, as descibed in the user manual.

Here is a quote of the start of the user manual documentation that deals with DLNA playback:
Playback of PC music contents

Follow the procedure below to operate the PC music contents and
start playback.
  • Press NET repeatedly to select “PC” as the input source. The browse screen is displayed on the TV.
    • If playback of a music file selected from this unit is ongoing on your PC, the playback screen is displayed. This function works only when “DMC Control” (p.95) in the “Input” menu is set to “Disable”.
  • Use the cursor keys to select a music server and press ENTER.
  • Use the cursor keys to select an item and press ENTER. If a song is selected, playback starts and the playback screen is displayed.
EvE

Post by EvE »

Thank you for your answer.
I do know how upnp works.
I would like to use UMS not only as a server but also as a as a control point.

You're mentioning that the Gui-player and Bump isn't that important, why is it then on the first page when opening UMS, why are all those profiles (renderers) included, why are there so many items in the config files.

With the installation comes a profile for the Yamaha RX-A1010, my 2010 is just the big brother, or maybe better: sister, but the profile does not work :-(
The setting you mentioned (pg 95) is correct.

I could work out a solution with a Control Point in a Web-Browser or with a Control Point that has a webbrowser remote.

I'm looking forward for good ideas.

Eve
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I gave my answer so long ago that i barely remember this case now. I didn't mean to say that the control point functionality wasn't "important", it's rather that is has never been properly implemented and has never been seen as "core" functionality. What happened is that there was a "hit-and-run development" of this released in UMS 5.0.0. The implementation is very incomplete with a lot of "shortcuts" that manifests as bugs or lack of logical behavior to the user. The developer that initially developed in never continued to make the implementation complete except for a few band-aids. As far as I know, nobody else has worked on this.

I don't see the link you make between control point functionality and renderer configurations. The renderer configuration files are needed regardless of the control point functionality, they tell UMS what the renderer can and cannot do. Unfortunately there are so many different renderers out there that it's impossible for the developers to keep up with that. Often a configuration from a similar device will work (or almost work), some times users post their custom renderer configurations on this forums and some times users will have to make/modify on themselves.

Renderer configuration that are complete and fully functioning for a device can be submitted for inclusion in the release versions so that other users can benefit from them without doing anything.

I don't think there's a lot of good control points for Windows (or any other desktop). For Android there are many implementations, and BubbleUPnP is a pretty decent choice.