Landing folder

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
HT1

Landing folder

Post by HT1 »

is it possible to have UMS display the contents of a folder on a share when it is entered in the Navigation/Share settings ?

i only have a 1 path entered, a folder on a network share. i would basically like to have UMS show the files in that folder just like it does for a share.

for example, if i type \\192.168.1.50\tv (where tv is a share on my nas) it shows all the folders in the root of that share.

but if i type \\192.168.1.50\tv\new stuff\

it doesn't show the files in new stuff, it stilll just shows the folders in the root of the share so i have to select new stuff to see into it.

is it possible to have UMS show the files in new stuff if it's the only path entered in Navigation/Share settings ?
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
Nadahar

Re: Landing folder

Post by Nadahar »

No. The URL's are generated and based on ID numbers, not folder names. Only the name of the shared folder itself is used as it is. If you use UMS like its meant to be used, with a UPnP/DLNA client, there's no need to enter URL's manually.

It's generally impossible to use URLs as an approach for finding content, as the exact URL will vary from renderer to renderer and might vary each time you restart UMS. UMS isn't a file server, it's an UPnP AV/DLNA server.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

with all due respect, i have no idea what all this means. it must be for another question.

i'm inquiring about a feature that seems lacking in ums, the ability to set a home folder, to display files from an ip/share/folder instead of just from ip/share.

i guess i'll just have to make a new share pointing to that folder and use just that from now on.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's not for another question, but the knowledge of the users vary a lot so it's impossible to know what level makes sense. In short, you seem to have misunderstood what kind of a server UMS is. It's not meant to share files neither via the filesystem nor a web browser. It's meant to share media files to devices that support UPnP AV or DLNA like TVs, game consoles, mobile phones etc. It might be that it's not the correct application for what you want to do.

If you want to access your media via a web browser, you can by opening UMS' web interface on: "http://<address>:9001" where <address> is the name or IP address of the computer running UMS. For name to work, you need to have name resolution working in your local network, and that is probably French to you as well. If it is, use the IP address.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

What are you talking about ? i believe its you that has misunderstood my question. i didn't say anything about a web browser or file system. You seem to think that the path i set is an URL for a browser ...

i've been using ums for years, i know what it is and what it isn't. I've even made my own config file for my tv and set up my own nases (plural) with shares to serve my home network.

Now, back to the topic which is making ums work with a folder on a >>>share<<< (eg: \\192...\tv\stuff, tv is a SHARE and stuff is a FOLDER in that share! not the Samba file system !)

Basically i want ums to show the files in that folder on that share on my network through DLNA when i launch my tv's media program instead of having to show the root of the share and navigate my way down to that folder (i hope i was clear enough geez!)

Just like it does to show the files in the root of a share, it would show the files in a folder when launching the media browser on my tv. i hope i was clear enough.

So that would mean ums would just load all the files from "\\192...\tv\stuff to watch" instead of just showing the root of that share on screen.

See what i mean in my screen shot ?

The network share is called TV and a subfolder is "Stuff to watch". i want ums to deliver to my television, the files in that folder, directly when i launch the player instead of just showing the root of the shared network drive.

Basically, i'd like UMS to "land" in that folder instead of the root of the share. (idk how many other ways i can explain to make sure its understood right by the reader.
Attachments
IMG_20171125_144053.jpg
IMG_20171125_144053.jpg (677.34 KiB) Viewed 11809 times
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm sorry that I misread your original backslashes for slashes, which was why I thought you were talking about an URL. I'm not used to seeing shares defined without name resolution, so that might have contributed.

In any case, I don't appreciate your attitude and I think your explanation is a bit hard to understand. To recap, this is my current understanding of your problem:

You have a share "\\host\foo"
You have a subfolder inside the shared folder "foo" called "bar"
You tell UMS to share folder "\\host\foo\bar"
When browse this shared folder from a renderer, the content of "foo" is displayed instead of the content of "bar"

If that is correct, it's not the intended behaviour. When I test this, I see the content of "bar".
s2920

Post by s2920 »

Hi
i have the same problem here. Any solution for this one?

regards
solar
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I still haven't gotten a proper explanation to the problem, so I haven't been able to reproduce it. It's very hard to fix something you can't reproduce.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Nadahar I think I understand what he means. He wants to send to the TV only content of the folder but it is the TV responsibility what is asking for. The standard behaviour is first ask for "Browse" and next for "Content". I think that what is HT1 asking for is against the UPnP/DLNA specifications.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@valib I understand even less of your explanation.