Landing folder

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Sami32

Re: Landing folder

Post by Sami32 »

I don't see any full trace log there...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556

As a way to be able to browse folders on a NAS or remote, you can add this line into your UMS.conf configuration file found in your profile repository:

Code: Select all

virtual_folders_file = VirtualFolders.conf
And edit your VirtualFolders.conf configuration file found into your profile repository following your needs.
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... 1180-L1191
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Nadahar I try to explain better. He wants to make the UMS to push the content of by him called "Landing folder" just after the TV will connect to the UMS. He don't want to click on that "Landing folder" or better to say one of the shared folder which will have this special treatment to receive the content of this folder. This is of course impossible because the UMS is a server which only responds on requests made by renderers and pushing something to them without request has no effect.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@valib: If this problem is just to save one or two clicks I really don't think it's worth our time. It would be possible for UMS to show the resources on the root, but it would require major redesign and would make a complete mess when you have multiple shared folders.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Nadahar agree with you.
boss

Post by boss »

I can't see why that won't work for you. You can adjust this behaviour in UMS.conf.

For example, this is mine:
folders = /home/media_mnt/Images, /home/media_mnt/Music, /home/media_mnt/Music Videos, /home/media_mnt/Videos
When I click on Videos, it shows all my subfolders under /home/media_mnt/Videos which are:
Karaoke Video
Movies
Personal
TV Series

But, if I change /home/media_mnt/Videos to /home/media_mnt/Videos/Movies
When I click on Videos, it only shows me the contents of my /home/media_mnt/Videos/Movies folder.

Isn't that what you are trying to achieve.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Nadahar wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 am I'm sorry that I misread your original backslashes for slashes, which was why I thought you were talking about an URL. I'm not used to seeing shares defined without name resolution, so that might have contributed.

In any case, I don't appreciate your attitude and I think your explanation is a bit hard to understand. To recap, this is my current understanding of your problem:

You have a share "\\host\foo"
You have a subfolder inside the shared folder "foo" called "bar"
You tell UMS to share folder "\\host\foo\bar"
When browse this shared folder from a renderer, the content of "foo" is displayed instead of the content of "bar"

If that is correct, it's not the intended behaviour. When I test this, I see the content of "bar".
Thanks for replying, sorry for the misunderstanding.

You have a good understanding of the problem, and i can confirm that i only see the content of 'bar' when i browse into it from 'foo' with my tv.
But i would like ums to display the content of 'bar' instead of 'foo' since i typed the whole path for that reason. i have no idea why this happens.

when i start my tv's media player, i land in foo and see the folder 'bar' there, i have to select it to see in it. i also see in 'foo' the jumpy addon and the web folder since ums is allowed to go on the web.

i have ums v6.7.4 but this has always happened in previous versions. if displaying the content of a subfolder like bar is the expected behavior then i'm stumped, it's never shown that, only the roots of the shares i type in.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
boss

Post by boss »

After you change to \\192.168.1.50\tv\new stuff
Have you checked in the actual UMS.conf file to make sure the change is going in there correctly.

In UMS.conf, it is under the section:
Shared folders
HT1

Post by HT1 »

same as exiting ums and restarting it right ?

so yes its in the conf file.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
boss

Post by boss »

What I mean is to go to the file UMS.conf on your computer and manually look at the text in that file and see if you have the line of text
which will look like this:
# ---< Shared folders >-------------------------------------------------------

# Shared folders
# --------------
# Either define a list of specific folders containing media to be shared or
# allow the system to browse the whole disk of the server. The GUI provides a
# system navigation to generate a list of folders. The list should contain a
# comma-separated list of absolute path names, or leave it empty to let the
# system find media.
# Default: ""
folders = \\192.168.1.50\tv\new stuff
HT1