good video tutorial for newb on Transcoding?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: good video tutorial for newb on Transcoding?

Post by Nadahar »

You can hide the TRANSCODE folder in the GUI/configuration. If the renderer configuration is correct, UMS will make the correct decision and you never need to use the TRANSCODE folder. If the configuration is wrong though, the TRANSCODE folder allows you to manually select which combination of transcoding engine, audio and subtitle track you want to play.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

UMS will show SRT subtitles if configured to do so. You can read about the configuration here: https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -Subtitles
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You have to remove "hide advanced settings" and restart UMS if things are hidden. That said, the audio settings tab described is the one on the transcoding tab.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I fixed your image. The reason it didn't work is that you didn't post a link to an image, but to a web page. The audio tab is in the middle of your picture, called "Audio Settings"

If you configure the subtitles correctly, UMS will use the correct subtitle without using the TRANSCODE folder. If there are multiple choices for the same language, that is either because there are several audio tracks or because there are several subtitles available for that language. Some times titles have both "normal" subtitles, subtitles for hearing impaired or subtitles for only foreign parts for example.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

When it comes to the onscreen display this is handled by your renderer (TV for example) and not UMS. UMS simply sends the information as text to the TV, so there's nothing you can configure in UMS that will impact how this is shown. Your TV might be configurable, but I rather doubt it. The "new world order" after Apple got so popular is that configuration equals user-unfriendly, so the trend these days is to offer as few options as possible.

Seeking/FF/REW often doesn't work while transcoding. When UMS is transcoding, the stream sent to the renderer is generated on the fly, so UMS must actually stop the transcoding, move the position and start a new transcoding on the new location. This is thus usually a very slow process, if it works at all. It also varies how the renderers send the information to UMS about the new position it wants. Some are time-based (sending timestamps for the new position) while others are byte-based. Your renderer configuration for that renderer must be configured to use correct position information type for this to work. I don't remember the details of this though, but I'm pretty sure you'll find it by searching this forum.

I also think there are situations where this simply won't work, but I'm not sure of the circumstances. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine if you're not transcoding, but that depends on subtitles, file format and more.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't run the forum, so I don't control that - but I think this is standard behaviour for phpBB.

You'll just have to configure the subtitles configuration as good as you can get it - it won't always be able to pick the correct one, which is why the TRANSCODE folder can be handy. You could also simply remove the SRT files that you don't want UMS to pick if the subtitles aren't embedded in the video file.