New Computer, have to re-setup devices anytime UMS or Computer is restarted

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: New Computer, have to re-setup devices anytime UMS or Computer is restarted

Post by Nadahar »

It runs on port 5001 by default, but you should not just change the port. If you run UMS double you will have a lot of problems, like configuration not being saved regardless of if you use the same port or not. What you need to do is to figure out what is using port 5001. This isn't a port that is usually used by other software, so the fact that it is in use is a strong indication that UMS is already running.

You can list what program is listening to what port by running

Code: Select all

netstat -a -b
Look for the lines ending with "listening".
Koschack

Post by Koschack »

Is this the line in the log that had you come to this conclusion?

ERROR 2017-12-13 06:05:21.457 [main] net.pms.PMS FATAL ERROR: Unable to bind web interface on port: 9001, because: Address already in use

Also, before we get too far into this without a thank you for helping me - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Unfortunately I am at work now but the first thing I'm going to do when I get home as look to find out what else is running on these ports.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't remember which line, but it might have been that one. Both 5001 and 9001 is used by UMS by default, and neither would normally be used by other programs.
Koschack

Post by Koschack »

I have verified that while UMS is not running that both port 5001 and 9001 are not in use. I have verified that while in use the javaw.exe program is utilizing both ports. The error persists in the log stating 9001 is already in use, but as already stated, is not in use until I start UMS.
Koschack

Post by Koschack »

Disabling the "Enable External Network" setting resolved the port contention. It has also resolved the issue where I have to resetup the streaming devices after restarting UMS.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That is extremely strange, it seems like there is some bug here although I can't really understand what it is.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@Koschack Could you try without selecting Android as the default renderer ?
You can just unselect the renderers that you don't want, but leave "Default renderer when automatic detection fails" to "Unknown renderer" for testing purpose, to verify that is not the reason why RemoteWeb fail.
Or try forcing a Yamaha rendrer.

Just in case it could interact, try to delete any UMS' credentials (UMS.cred), or WEB.conf file.

That was my two cents.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@Koschack I really have no idea what causes what here, but external network (internet access) can't really explain why the sockets would be in use. I'm not saying that disabling it didn't work for you, I'm just saying that whatever the cause for this problem is it isn't obvious.

What would be interesting was if you could rename/move WEB.conf from your profile folder and see if that would let you enable external network without getting the issue.
Koschack

Post by Koschack »

I tried to re-enable the external network but remove the android renderer and let the default renderer handle it and received the port 9001 error. After switching everything back to where it was last night with everything working, I am still getting the 9001 error but not having issues with my streaming devices loosing connectivity. It's really weird. Should I just set the configuration to use another port other than 9001? What is another good option, other than just not one already in use?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

None of this makes sense to me, so I have no idea. Something really strange must be going on here. Do you have an eager anti-virus system or similar that potentially interferes?